is it worth buying my own cylinder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sorry all this converting has messed up the numbers its r2300.00 so thats like $340 12l steel faber , brand new
Find out what the cylinder testing requirements are for your country. Find out how much it cost to have it tested and inspected before buying any used tank.

hmmm it would be around $70 for all the tests , see wats really pushing me is that the cylinder i wanna but is going at 30% cheaper than anywere else ... on special

Times when it's nice to own a tank:
When you want to dive and the LDS is unreachable
When you call a dive and have to return a tank full of nitrox that you paid for and didnt use
When the limiting financial factor in your diving is tank rentals
When you can't rent the tanks you want to dive

Other than that, it sucks
I have to find somewhere to store them, I have to get them filled, I have to get them inspected, I have to service them. Tank rentals here are $2/day, so thats ten days of diving a year just to break even on the inspection. If you spend $300-$400 on two 3AL tanks, and dive two days every two weekends, it's almost five years for the break-even. However, #1 and #4 mean I own tanks.

Well worth it! :D

For what it is worth R2300 for a 12.2L steel (new) is a damn good price. The shop I worked at sold them for R3500.

I purchased my own pair of 117 Faber steels. I can go diving in an instant and don't have to get to a LDS for a tank or fill. I then drop off or wait when they refill. Bought the through my LDS and still get a break on gas. Another advantage is my weighting does not change due to cylinder size or composition. Hell it's only money and they print more every day. In the scope of things my tanks should last me a long time and will justify themselves in a year or two.

It depends if you can rent the cylinders you want to dive with. If you want HP100s and the local shops only rent Al80s, you're going to have to buy a couple.

well this is the thig , i used to get cylinder rentals for free , but new managment means its now $ $7/day .... so over 4 days that means i need to 10 dive trips to break even on the cylinder

If you're worried about the cost of buying a single tank, don't even think about going into technical diving... lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom