Cancun Diving in mid march

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok first let me say that my three dives with Scorpio Divers was one of my better experiences in my life (scuba wise), and Ben and Jorge were wonderful guides. I couldn’t ask for more out of a dive trip. Ben accommodated my group of non divers for snorkeling and buddied up with me for my two tank dive when my real buddy was sick (be careful what you eat). I am a massive air hog, this skill is my new main focus, and Ben got his hands on a steel 120 for me for our 80ft wreck dive. I assume this wasn’t easy, and I greatly appreciated it.

Wreck dive on the C-58 in 80fsw, a sunken artificial reef project…or as Jorge informed me “sunk in the war between Mexico and Cuba” ha ha
The viz was fantastic, 90ft or so and the water was a warm 79degrees.
The wreck was amazing, like something out of discovery channel. We saw a green moray eel living amongst some separated parts of the wreck and the real treat, 25+ spotted eagle rays hovering at the top of the reef for us to watch. The ascent on this dive had a wicked current but I loved the learning opportunity and chance to experience something completely new.

The next dive was a shallow 28ft (according to my computer) reef drift dive. Great viz as well and the reef had tons of life, a real treat. We observed a nurse shark about half way through the dive. Nearing the end of the dive, whilst drifting we were lucky enough to spot a 9ft+ Hammerhead shark…in less than 30ft of water! When I saw it, and I didn’t get as good of a view as Ben and the other 2 divers did, it didn’t register for seconds what I just saw. It was truly incredible. Ben did you get the tat? Still amazed at this sighting.
My dives in Cancun were great and I learned more from them than any thus far, so I consider them to be the best in my young diving life. I had my first dive on a steel 120, scared the crap out of me at first because I sunk like a rock. I did my first REAL drift/wreck dive, and I guess seeing the massive hammer head in 30fsw was OK too :wink: Scorpio divers thanks for the wonderful diving and great learning experience, I will be back to drain more of your scuba tanks soon! (hopefully drain them more slowly&#8230:wink:

Cheers!

Last edited:
I'm glad you had a great time with those two. Can't hardly find better guys to hang with, much less dive with. And that Hammerhead experience.....that is just too cool!! I've never seen one in my dives down there, so you are truly fortunate.

Tell us that you did eat some fish tacos!! They sounded abhorrent to me, but they were awesome! Same with the shrimp...

I think every dive should be a learning experience. Glad you got all that education....:wink:

Congrats!

I didnt get fish tacos, I wish I had, I love them!! Im going to make this into a dive report thread so its more searchable for others traveling to the area.

TTU,

We did the same C-58 dive as you. Yes, the current was still wicked. Nothing like doing the superman on the decent line. :D We saw the Eagle rays, 3 schools with about 20 total. I love watching them. Just a great Dive.

The second dive we are calling Ben's reef. Talk about pristine. Schools of fish everywhere. Hundreds of grunts and snappers. Tons of Morays, file fish and 3 lion fish.
We were at a max depth of 47ft according to my computer.

As usual Ben did a great job. Great dive sights, great customer service. It doesn't get any better. He did take us to have fish and shrimp tacos. Perfect after dive food. Spoiled me for all future fish tacos.

Already book our hotel for next year.

Nice! I'd like to go down again this summer to try and see the whale sharks when they come in...

We are headed to Cancun on the 26th of March and I am taking a group, including an OW student, out with Manta. We are diving four times a day, every day, all in the Cancun area, so I will report on how it goes. I checked with Scuba Cancun and Scorpio and decided on Manta. I agree that a trip to Cozumel makes for a long day.

Back
Top Bottom