SDI Instructor Course Requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorthernShrinkage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Does anyone know of or have a Link for the actual SDI course breakdown and requirements for becoming a SDI Instructor.

I have been a DM with SDI for four years now and may have the oppurtunity to take the next step but I havent realy fully decided if this is the direction I want to proceed. Would like to have a look as maybe this will assist me in my decision because I am torn.

I have been asked to run an IDC in Muskoka this spring... you may be one of the three candidates for all I know! If you are, I will see you on Tuesday for a pre-IDC meeting and these things will be discussed.

But anyhow, here for now are the prerequisites:

10.5 Student Prerequisites

1. Minimum age 18
2. Certified diver for a minimum of 6 months
3. Provide proof of 100 logged dives completed in a number of different environments with varying depths
4. Be certified as SDI Assistant Instructor, SDI Divemaster or equivalent.
5. Provide proof of current CPR, first aid and oxygen provider*, where local law permits
* Note: SDI CPROX, CPR1st or CPROX1stAED courses may be combined with the IDC program by qualified instructors

10.6 Course Structure and Duration
IDC Execution:

Candidate must be able to perform all skills required, to instructor level quality, for Divemaster and Assistant Instructor

The Instructor Candidate has 6 months from the completion of the IDC to attend an IEC
Duration:
1. The minimum number of hours under direct supervision for the SDI IDC is 40 hours
2. The minimum number of hours under direct supervision for the SDI IEC is 10 hours
3. A minimum of 100 hours is required for the entire course; 40 hours from the divemaster or assistant instructor course may be credited at the discretion of the instructor trainer or IT Staff Instructor. Fifty hours of training must occur under the direct supervision of a current Instructor Trainer or IT Staff Instructor.

+++++++++++
ALSO, since you are a DM, you can log into the professional area of SDI's website and download all the course guidelines and the actual standards are in your S&Ps which you would have been given when you did your original DM course and which you get upgrades to each year when you renew.

That should be a fun IDC, Steve! Demanding too, but fun, fun, fun.

Thanks Steve yes I would be one of the three. Was looking on the site must have overlooked that
area simply looking for as much info as I can get to assist me in my decision.

On a side note I think we may have met if I am not mistaken I took yourself and a couple of your rebreather associates out to the Waomie a couple of years ago.

Thanks Steve yes I would be one of the three. Was looking on the site must have overlooked that
area simply looking for as much info as I can get to assist me in my decision.

On a side note I think we may have met if I am not mistaken I took yourself and a couple of your rebreather associates out to the Waomie a couple of years ago.

Yep, we had a great time... you guys were very patient! LOL

Will see you on Tuesday. I believe you will be in a much better position to make an informed decision at that point.

WE NEED OWIs IN MUSKOKA!!! :wink:

Are SDI Instructors tied to a LDS ? (like SSI) or are they independent? (PADI/NAUI)

WE NEED OWIs IN MUSKOKA!!! :wink:

I think I could convince the wife to move.....! :wink:

Are SDI Instructors tied to a LDS ? (like SSI) or are they independent? (PADI/NAUI)

Somewhere in between. The requirement is to be affiliated with a "facility". That doesn't mean a shop.

For example, I know of a University Dive Club that is in the process of setting itself up as a facility.

In North America, SDI instructors are associated with a FACILITY... a local dive store is simply one type of facility. Since SDI (and TDI) do not charge members to register a facility each year, and since qualifying as a teaching facility is not beyond the means of someone serious about being a dive industry pro, this does not seem to be a show stopper.

By the way, TDI instructors can be, and often are, independent; however, many take the time to register as a facility too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom