Damage after Tsunami in Palau?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BelgianScubadiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

I saw the terrible news on tv about the earthquake in Japan.
My question is how about Palau? -> Dammage infrastructure? Dammage under water?...
I go there within 3 weeks... Hope everything is ok over there?
Someone who has news about it?

Thanks a lot!

The last update in the local media here was about 4 hours ago and there was no mention of any tsunami damage in the area. They apparently got a few waves in Hawaii. We didn't get any tsunami waves on Guam.

Your best bet might be to just email the staff at the Sea Passion and ask them; they seem to be pretty quick about responding to emails.

According to TV New Zealand:

"The Pacific islands of Palau, which had expected the tsunami waves to hit at 1030 GMT, did not feel any impact, Feremin Meriang, press secretary to Palau's president, said."

Let's hope this is accurate.

I just left Pelileu today and am in Palau - no damage at all either locale. Tide went out then back in - total difference of ten feet - didn't affect anything. Enjoy your trip out here!

Jim

Just got back from Palau yesterday. Was on the Aggressor when we got a warning over the radio and moved to deeper/sheltered water. Didn't even feel the wave. When we got back to port on Saturday night, no evidence of any damage and the local people said they didn't even experience it other than a slight variation of the tides.

Just got back from Palau yesterday. Was on the Aggressor when we got a warning over the radio and moved to deeper/sheltered water. Didn't even feel the wave. When we got back to port on Saturday night, no evidence of any damage and the local people said they didn't even experience it other than a slight variation of the tides.

Hi bbarada, how was the sighting on your trip? Good?? Mantas, sharks sharks and lotsa of sharks??:D

Vonnie: We didn't see any mantas in Palau, except from the boat. Many, many sharks. Mostly white tip, black tip, and gray reef sharks, a couple of nurse sharks.

While on Yap we did two manta dives. Really close to some about 14 feet across. We also saw many sharks on Yap, including a shark feeding dive that was incredible.

From here in Guam, I can report that we are not expecting any radiation effect, and we're closer than Palau - so I should think they will be ok.

Trying not to be a selfish toddler and worry that our April 16-23 Palau trip will not have to be rescheduled due to my husband's military duties either on Japan or dealing with evacuees that may be shipped to Guam very soon....stupid earthquake.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom