Atomic B2 vs Scubapro MK25/S600

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jason h

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi there,
brand new to diving, and just completed my Open Water but really want to get my own reg before I travel to Thailand and use a "hire" reg over there.

I will be doing warm water diving in Thailand, but over here in Seattle, mainly cold water(Puget Sound- around 46-50F).
Any help for this newbie would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Both are good regs and fine performers. The owners of Atomic used to work for ScubaPro. Both first stages are similar in that they use pistons. But what I think sets them a part are the second stages. IMHO ScubaPro second stages are big and klunky. Atomic is a better in that regards. And what sold me on them.

Thanks for our help there Scared Silly, much appreciated

I use the Atomic B2. Since I live in FL, I don't really have much need to do cold water diving. However, it has served very well in warm water diving at a number of depths.

For PNW diving, consider the Mk17 first stage. Better for cold water temps than the Mk25. If you have a few extra buck, the A700 second stage is a good choice too.

Since the Mk17 is cheaper than the Mk25, a Mk17/1700 might not be much more than a Mk25/S600. Currently, Leisure Pro shows a $35 difference.

Atomic over SP for their better design, which only requires servicing every 300 dives or two years. If you can dole out enough for the ST1 it is a modern art piece of machined SS...

I would go for the B2. I dive the Z2 and love it. The B2 breaths the same; it just has more bells and whistles...

It's more of a personal preference for the temp range you have posted both are awesome regs. 46-50 is not that cold and both would perform well in that range, just feel them and see what you like better,

Although I was always under impression that Washington waters are colder than that

I've had my B2 for three years and have never had any problem with it up here in Puget Sound. I've also taken it to WPB, Coz, and Roatan. No problems in those places.

There are plenty of places up here to get the B2 serviced as well. Also, the warranty is not voided if you're late on getting it serviced.

You can get a B2 at Underwater Sports or Lighthouse Diving. Both places will try to beat internet pricing.

Ron

I have both of those exact setups (but rather a functionally identical T2). Both the are high-end cold-water capable regulator sets. You would be happy with either (most new divers would be so lucky to have such regs!). The B2, however, is simply more elegant and refined in design and execution (and a drier breather when in odd attitudes and positions). It is my primarily used reg.

The only caveat is that with Atomic regulators you don't want to submerge the first and second stages and connecting hose at the same time when rinsing unless the first stage is pressurized since the poppet valve on the first stage is not self-closing (danger of water entering first stage). The easy workaround is to just keep a loop of the hose above rinse tank as a air lock. Not really a concern if you do your own rinsing but definitely a concern in the vacation dive boat scenario where the crew does mass rinsings for the divers. Just be aware of that.

I would love to try the newer A700 Chill Diver mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom