GUE fundamentals class and begining Tech training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have taken Fundamentals, Cave 1 and Cave 2 with GUE. I echo the sentiments about taking Fundies as soon as possible. It has been my experience that GUE classes are much fussier about details of technique, and if you spend a year doing things other ways, the habits you acquire will be far more difficult to break.

Even if you were to take the class and decide to do your training with someone else, the good basic skills you will take away from Fundies will serve you very well. In the classes I have taken from other agencies, I've almost always been complimented on my basics, and I owe my GUE instructors for that.

As far as classes go, since you will have to travel some to do any class, I'd look for an instructor whose personality and teaching strategy matches you well. Although all GUE instructors have high standards, and the class is similar in content everywhere, the teaching can be styled differently. It is much better to do a stressful class with someone whose approach works well for you.

Be prepared for Fundamentals. You might want to read Jax's recent thread about her GUE experience. I think a lot of people (particularly those who don't live in a nurturing GUE environment, like Los Angeles :) ) find the paradigm shift to GUE training difficult, but it is extremely worth while.

It's almost a given that you will not pass a GUE Tech class on the first attempt,
... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob are you referring to Tech X classes or to fundamentals with a tech pass ?

We were lucky here as we have a lot of mentors with certifications GUE-F , tech 1 , 2 cave 1,2 and an instructor. There are a lot of good mentors so my friend and I knew most of the drills before the class... despite of that we had a lot to learn in the class, especially team work, we passed it successfully

I agree with the proponents of taking the class earlier, I had to relearn on how to do the frog kick properly as we did not really work on it before the class and were using breaststrock kick istead

I was referring to tech classes ... although when I took my first Fundies class, all six students ended up with a provisional, and when I took the second one, half of them did.

Things have apparently changed since then. Guy Shockey has a nice approach, with a class that spans two week-ends with a couple weeks in between for skills practice. I believe his approach has helped give the students more in-water time to develop the skills ... and therefore pass the class. Dunno what other GUE instructors are doing these days ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I know tons of people who have never failed a gue class
DumpsterDiver, Halemano, Nemrod, Nereas, et al. :wink:

:joke:

I was referring to tech classes ... although when I took my first Fundies class, all six students ended up with a provisional, and when I took the second one, half of them did.

Things have apparently changed since then. Guy Shockey has a nice approach, with a class that spans two week-ends with a couple weeks in between for skills practice. I believe his approach has helped give the students more in-water time to develop the skills ... and therefore pass the class. Dunno what other GUE instructors are doing these days ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I think the big difference is at the time you took your classes there we so much less information available and less people were certified... My friend who took the GUE-F in 2005 told me they have no clue of what's going on when they showed up for the class, so all but one person ended up getting provisional...

I guess it helps with the Tech classes as well. Out of 3 local people that I know took the Tech 1 class this summer only one did not pass I think.

Another +1 for getting in contact with Bob Sherwood (GUE Training Director).

My 2 teammates in my GUE Tech 2 class both live in Maryland. Bob Sherwood was their instructor for GUE Fundamentals, Tech 1, and Tech 2. I would just go ahead and give Bob a call directly on his cell phone to let him know of your situation and dive background. He can help you in your due diligence regarding the GUE pathway, and he can take you from start to finish in your training if you do decide GUE is right for you. Both of those guys in Maryland were awesome guys and great divers. We had a great time during our Tech 2 class with Bob.

Back
Top Bottom