Why can't you make a living as an Instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Part 2 of 2

Dive training is a product that has a significant cost associated with delivering it to the customer. The real cost to train an individual to become a competent and safe scuba diver, vastly exceeds today’s market price for training, and most in the industry completely ignore the "hidden cost" associated with the potantial liability risk in offering training. The fault of this disconnect, lies directly at the feet of the dive training agencies that have perpetuated the “hobbyist-trade” mentality in their policies and retailer support structure.

Dive training itself should be treated as a product, and should carry with it a “manufacturer’s suggested minimum retail price”. Dive training after all, is supposed to carry with it “Brand Value”. For years, I took great pride in the fact that my training agency, NAUI, held the reputation of having by far the highest training standards in the industry. Not just ANYONE, could be a NAUI instructor in those days. Today however, there is no real brand value in any training agency. They have all degenerated equally in terms of quality and standards, to the detriment of all
In much the same way that high-end sports equipment manufacturers (such as Patagonia, Mountain Hardwear, etc.), have certain conditions of compliance for dealers in order to retain their dealership status (including minimums sales price discounts allowed); dive training agencies should long ago have imposed the same minimum pricing standards on the dive industry retailers and independents who sell training under those brands. This is in fact the best way to protect brand value, whether selling a product, or service. Instead, training agencies have year after year done the exact opposite, and have systematically eroded the quality requirements for dive training, “dumbed-down” the training standards, lowered the certification age to 10 under pressure from the dive-travel segment of the industry, and have now even taken the step to offer “on-line” training that doesn’t even require any instructor for the academic portion of the course.
These steps constitute one big mistake after another, and yet the respective heads (talking heads would be more appropriate) of the industry’s training agencies still believe that they are “innovating” ways to grow the industry. They could not be more wrong.
If dive training courses were priced in accordance with the actual cost to deliver them, an entry-level scuba course in the US should cost at least $ 600 or more per student, and should consist of the content and practical standards that used to be provided more than a decade ago, unlike today where a few hours in a pool over a weekend constitutes an “open-water certification course”. In fact, the average price of a “complete” scuba course from a reputable institution or dive shop back in 1980 was about $200. Adjusted for inflation to today, that would be $ 625. I challenge anyone to find just one dive retailer in America today who has priced a basic scuba course at $ 625. There is not one.
Today, there is a rash of dive retailers across the USA who are closing their doors and going out of business. I have interviewed dozens of the owners of these shops and virtually all of them attribute their demise to the same things. “It’s the economy”, or “it’s the financial crisis”, or it’s the price of gas, etc. But not one of them attributes the demise of their business, to having underpriced their products, including their training services. Not one attributes their failure, to having tried to operate under a defective industry model. They falsely believe that if they had charged a reasonable price for the courses they offered that they wouldn’t get any students. Perhaps this is Darwin at work, and they should be put out of business. Any instructor or retailer, willing to give away for free, the intellectual property, physical demands, and liability risk assumption, associated with providing a dive training course, doesn’t deserve to compete in this industry to begin with.
I have news for you out there in the dive industry; making a “bigger pie” (i.e. growing the market) is not constituted in stretching and flattening out the existing pie until is paper thin. The means by which the dive training agencies have attempted to grow their market has been unhealthy in many respects, not the least of which is economic. The fallout from that is putting hundreds of dive retailers across the country out of business.
The competency standards for entry-level certified divers today is a joke, and those for leadership level training have diminished substantially as well. Last year, I found myself on a dive charter to the wreck Oriskany, off Pensacola with a newly minted “Divemaster” aboard our charter. This “divemaster” had first learned to dive only 6 months before, and had logged only 90 dives. On his first dive as acting divemaster, he was charged with guiding a young 15 year-old girl, the daughter of one of the other divers aboard, since she was newly certified and the least experienced aboard. This divemaster, who was an unpaid “apprentice” for the dive shop, started his dive with an Aluminum 80, while the 15 year old girl, half his size, was given a 100 cu ft steel cylinder. The dive ended with the “divemaster” actually running out of air and having to share air with his “student” at the “safety stop”. She commented upon re-boarding the boat; that she had no idea what was going on, when the “divemaster” reached for her octopus regulator and started breathing from it. This divemaster put both himself, and his undertrained “student” at substantial risk, on a wreck sitting in 220 feet of water, more than 22 miles from shore. Imagine if that young client had been just a 10-year old. Imagine that young child were YOUR 10-year old.
This story is not a solitary one.
The idea to certify 10-year olds to scuba dive, came about in large part due to pressure from owners of live-aboard fleets like Wayne Hasson of the aggressor fleet; who for years pressured PADI and the other training agencies to lower the certification age in an effort to expand the dive-travel market to larger families with young children, rather than just couples. Their justification came from comparing the scuba industry, to the recreational snow-skiing industry; ignoring the fact that making a simple error on a ski slope usually results in few bruises or a broken bone at worst; while making a simple error underwater on scuba gear can cost someone their life. This too has been one of the most disastrous policies enacted by the dive training agencies both economically, as well as in terms of real safety and professionalism. The consequent increase in cost of instructor liability insurance is something no one has even mentioned or addressed in the industry trade journals.
Fundamentally, the dive industry has consistently and systematically self-destructed any means by which a small business owner or independent instructor can expect to be paid a reasonable price for their training services. In 30 years, these people have still not learned anything about economics. This is why I’m fed-up, and this is why I quit.

"The question is? How did we teach our consumers to de-value SCUBA instruction so greatly."

The price of all goods and services are determined by supply and demand. If you have a paying job teaching diving, there are constantly 100 other people lined up for your job, including a few of the ones you just trained. Turning one's favorite recreational activity into a paying career is a universal dream, but except for a few hundred overpaid celebrities in the NFL (and even for a lot of them, as the recent lockout controversy demonstrates) it's a pipe dream.

Assuming what you do is something people need done, supply and demand dictates that your pay is a function of the uniqueness of your ability or willingness to do your job. If you're the only person on earth able and willing to do your job, you get paid a lot. If many people are able, but no one else is willing, to do your job, you get paid a lot. If many are willing, but few are able, you get paid a lot. However, if almost anyone is willing and able, you get paid peanuts. Work has a suck factor, and to a large extent you're paid based on how much your work sucks. No one is going to pay you big bucks to dive, because, let's face it - you would (and do) dive for zero pay. The difference between men's and women's sex drives is why there's more work for prostitutes than for gigolos. You get paid as an incentive to work, and if you don't need any more incentive, you don't get paid.

The other aspect is, anything you HAVE to do to put food on your table gets old eventually. Go and read the chapter of Tom Sawyer about whitewashing the fence. Therein lies wisdom on the difference between work and play. Then you'll understand why teaching diving pays peanuts, and why the smart move is to find a career doing something your talents make you uniquely able/willing to do, make lots of money doing it, and spend that money diving on YOUR terms.

Huh:

Read through most of this thread. First off, if you haven't served please don't criticize the choices of someone who has. I for one am looking forward to getting out of the military and teaching SCUBA diving. I am lucky to have a wife who supports this and earns enough that as long as I make 24K we can indulge my desire to try and make a living from teaching SCUBA. The daily rate to lead a dive out here is 85.00, so six days a week times 85 = 510 per week or 2040 a month. As our rent is 1950 a month we can sustain ourselves if I'm able to earn this much. Yes, it's hard work for little pay, but you know what? The most money I've ever made was while on deployment. Was it worth it? Hell no. I'd rather be home with the wife and the dogs and mowing the lawn. So yes, I might be working 14 hour days sometimes to make less then 100 day, but since I'm doing something I love it really doesn't matter to me that the financial renumeration is low. Now I know not everyone is DINK or has a spouse willing to take a step down in standard of living in order to let them follow a dream. The great thing is, if it doesn't work out I can always do something different.

Michael

I think most instructors are paid about what they're worth.

I'm banking on potential divers understanding the value of a quality instructor, who is committed to their success. My observation is that most people don't have a clue of what makes a good class while they are in the process of looking for one. If you have a quality product, it becomes pretty easy to sell the value. Once they have an idea of what a solid course should look like, they can spot the cheaper/faster course for what it is.

50K/yr.... I think it could be done, but it would take more than instructing. Commission on gear sales could make up the remainder? It's really pretty tough to get there from here.

I'll have to try it and let you know how it goes.

You Can make a living as an instructor, but you won't get rich. THAT is more the truth.

We started our company all on our own last year in April. I am a teacher, and my hubby had been between contracts since December. He made 4 times my salary, and it was Gone.

We started our business, had a bit of gear and such, but nowhere near enough. We taught and dove through the summer. By December, we ran an accounting. We paid all of our personal bills, and were fine on a family level. We were completely in the black on our business. The school gear is all Zeagle, all new. 15 sets. bc's, regs, and all. Pool is clear and paid. Boat is refit and ready for the season.

Oh yeah, we made it. And supported us. How many companies end up in the black after their first season of start up business?

This year, he has a new contract, and we can build even more. But we also know that it will never make us filthy rich. It is a lifestayle. And I do love it.

and therefore you wont be compensated as if it were...

$625 for OW Basic? that woulda kept me outta the sport... thats alot of money to me for an entry-level scuba class.

remember that "back in the day" there were no classes... friends taught friends what they needed to know not to get themselves killed and built experience from there, and equiptment has become Much safer since then.

There's only a couple main things one needs to know to start diving, one is understanding the concept of how pressure relates to a volume of gas and the ramifications therein (dont hold your breath) , and the other is the concept of Nitrogen loading and Its ramifications (DCS).

OW Basic is just that, Basic. Its a learners permit that allows one to continue learning without killing themselves.

And about that newly minted DM story... what "substantial risk" was that young OW student subjected to when the DM used her octo at 15' ? 100 cu ft , 15yr old girl obviously had tons of air, where was the danger? I suppose she could have gotten nervous when he grabbed the octo (depending on how he did it) but even then so what? she goes to the surface from 15' ? Now it certainly was unprofessional for the DM to run out of air in the first place, but Substantial Risk? no...

Keep OW costs down as not to scare people off.... there's Plenty of money to spend on additional training and gear later.

Some of the numbers being thrown around seem awfully big. I learned to dive in California a bit over a decade ago. I stopped into the shop earlier in the week but at the time he wanted 99 and it seemed expensive for something I wasn't sure I would like... By Friday the course was on sale for 79 and I signed up. Then I bought jet fins a Scubapro mask and snorkle... The fins
Have survived the ravages of time.

So here's the pitch I read in this thread... Ive got an activity, yet another of a dozen of "exterme" sports, which I want you to try. Give me 700 bux and you can try it? I know things like dsd and friends are motivators but the core sell is getting tougher with all the competition.

As a long time instructor, I can see "doriadivers" point of view..
I have been teaching scuba since 1971.Started with NASDS then PADI and SSI..
I have seen many changes in gear and instructing methods.
I honestly have to say that yes an instructor is not paid enough but also have to admit that teaching a ow class has become very streamlined and fairly complete for what most consumers want and need. The days of an instructor "telling stories" are long gone.No need for long winded "stories"..all the stories usually do is to inflate an instructors self ego. What was needed and delivered by most of todays agencies was a standarized course designed by true educators ,not by some instructors or LDS that thought their course was the best. Well thought out objectives were thought out and are met in most courses today. We are not teaching people to dive on deep/cold /dark dive sites.We are teaching them to dive recreationally in a safe manner within their comfort zones. For those that wish to gain more experience for the more challenging sites,then either there are continuing education classes or they can pursue a mentorship.
As to not being able to make enough money to live on as an instructor, that can be true.In life I found that what you get out of an endeavor is what you put into it. I have always made enough out of instructing to pay all costs involved for my gear,trips and personal boat, with some left over. Different times in my career I have made it on the $ made teaching and diving while I was between jobs.Could it be done as a full time career? I doubt it, would be difficult,but there are those who have made it by putting it all on the line,investing heavily into a business and made a good living at it.Getting certified as an instructor only is a beginning.
As to the cost of a ow course, yes it is usually sold at too low a point, its called what the market can bear.Charge too much and you just sit there looking at the 4 walls because people go to where it is less expensive. Charge too little and you soon go out of business..Trouble is too many independents pratically giving it away for nothing.Consumers want a product,a certification card, and if it costs less 2 blocks away,they will go there.
The LDS I teach out of charges $600. + learning materials($95. or $120. for elearning))for a private course that I do .That is just for the academics and confined water dives.The 4 ow certification dives are additional. I teach private courses on a constant basis.No sooner I finish one that I have another starting or have one running at the same time. Normally scheduled group course is $269.,again that is for academics and confined water only,certification dives are additional. Student still needs to purchase learning materials(text/dvd/log book) at a cost of $95. Time frame for a group setting is usually about 20 hours total,not counting the time student spends reading material and doing knowledge reviews.Private students usually need less time.
For 10 year olds, I do not see any reason to exclude them. Yes there are those 10 year old kids that have the attention span of a gnat,but for those that are commited there is no issue having then dive with their family. My 10 year old students are often better in the water than the adults. There are strick limitations placed on them that must be obeyed.Diving with a competent family member or a dive pro is one of them. I usually have a parent involved in their training as well. Depth limitations are also imposed on them that must be adheared to.
Internet elearning is here today and is only going to get more popular.There is no reason why it cannot work effectively.My elearners spend more time on their computers reading and completing requirements than traditional learners do.I find they come in better prepared.Every major industry /corporation/university has some type of elearning done. The only major drawback I find is a LDS sales may suffer as the relationship between instructor and student is shorter.But if an effective instructor does his/her job not only to teach a consumer to dive, but to assist them in gear selection appropriate for that individuals goals in the activity, its a win. A instructor has to realize that part of their job is to assist the student in gear selection,any instructor who does not is short changing the student.
An LDS has to spend the time with a consumer and provide the service that an internet retailer cannot. Many LDS facilities now advise consumers that they will meet any authorized interet retailers price to combat this problem in addition to providing service in a face to face setting.

GOOD LORD, PEOPLE! PEOPLE CAN DIE DOING THIS! THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!! WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!! ALL THE LITTLE CHILDREN DYING BECAUSE OF THEIR LESSER TRAINING!!! AND ALL THOSE ORPHANS BECAUSE THEIR PARENTS ARE GOING DIVING WITH 24 HOURS INSTEAD OF 48 AND DYING HORRIBLE DEATHS!!

Oh. They're not? Well, dang it, they ought to. How the heck am I going to make a living teaching longer and more expensive basic classes unless we have more than that paltry 90 dead divers a year so the necessity of more training becomes obvious?

I know one thing for dang sure. We ought to all get together and fix training prices. I mean, it's not like scuba diving is a choice people make. It's like insurance and Bose radios, isn't it? Everybody has to do it. Right?

Well, dive instructors may well be underpaid based on what I've seen but they should be optimistic... all the other jobs in the current economy probably pay even less. Said tongue in cheek, but hopefully not foot in mouth!

Back
Top Bottom