Diving a different silo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LVX

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
There were a few of us that went to Abilene a few weeks ago to dive a different silo than Valhalla. This is a silo at Lawn, Texas.

just thought I would share a link about the dive and silo - Divers Explore Lawn Missile Silo - BigCountryHomePage.

Forgot to mention the divers were myself, Brandon (Zinc) and Gordon...

thanks

Layne

There were a few of us that went to Abilene a few weeks ago to dive a different silo than Valhalla. This is a silo at Lawn, Texas.

just thought I would share a link about the dive and silo - Divers Explore Lawn Missile Silo - BigCountryHomePage.

Forgot to mention the divers were myself, Brandon (Zinc) and Gordon...

thanks

Layne

What did you find and why was there silt?

awesome!

Any chance this one will ever open up to the public like Valhalla?

Same Question as above, what did you find? Just a big concrete cylinder?

Hello all,

No, it is my understanding this silo will not be opened up to divers. it is going to be more of a museum if anything. The dept to remains was about 100'. There is about another 20 ft below these remains but there was no way to get any deeper. What is at the bottom, a pile of rubbish. All the catwalks from the upper floors are now at depth. We even found a bowling ball, washing machine and refrigerator. There is a lot of silt that has come in from the launch doors or other cracks and crevices from above. There is also debris that falls off the walls from the inside that create vis problems.

The silo itself is in great shape but the dive able part of the silo is pretty muked up....

Layne

I was at Kennedy Space Center last year. While there, I picked up a DVD from a street vendor on the Atlas ICBM silos of Abilene. It was kind of interesting; but mostly a waste of my money. Still, there was an interview with a contract worker who was the construction supervisor for the Lawn silo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom