Pinnacle Black Ice Drysuit: Mini Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, that might be my issue then. Haven't taken it out into the cold for fear of freezing my ass off once it leaks. So then, is the correct fitting to fold the neck seal in about an inch or two and then put the hood on such that the base overlaps the seal?

I have had no issues with the neck seal with my black ice , until my twelve dive in it . Out of the blue the neck starting leaking like a sieve . If I moved my head air leaked and water poured in . It was the wettest drysuit dive I have had out of 850 + drysuit dives .

I got my buddy to inspect the seal when we got out , thought for sure I had a big crease in the fold that was causing the issue . It was rolled flat and clean .
When I took the suit off I inspected the neck seal , it has stretched outward from going over my head a few times .

Most neck seals are tapered inward , these are straight , when they stretch they turn into a funnel for air to leak and water to pour in .

I am taking mine in before I dive in it again to have it adjusted correctly or replaced . Again , I have never seen a drysuit neck seal not tapered in , obviously a design flaw . The thin neoprene they use at that angle is a leak waiting to happen . Probably just one of the issues that burned out their relationship with Zeagle .

Ok, that might be my issue then. Haven't taken it out into the cold for fear of freezing my ass off once it leaks. So then, is the correct fitting to fold the neck seal in about an inch or two and then put the hood on such that the base overlaps the seal?

I would say at least 2 , my seal is roughly 4 inch tall so I fold in exactly half of it

All this leaking and stuff - particularly the tears that would end the dive. I'm sticking with my 7mm farmer johns. I have 4 sets.

#1 O'Neil - Jetty torn/patched, but still diving

#2 ScubaPro Tec - beautiful, but a little large, so I use my Pinnacle Merino hooded vest - bulky but warm

#3 SeaQuest - good fitting vest, but johns are baggy - backup/always in my truck

#4 Pinnacle - what a wonderful beautifully fitting suit - I'm afraid to get near the wetsuit/drysuit eating Jetties

Dove it today in 50 F water in the quarry. Added the hood and the Bio Seal. Absolutely no leakage at all. Everything worked wonderfully. I need to add some warmer socks for tomorrow, but was fine otherwise.

Just purchased Black ice dry suit for my dry suit course. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom