Spiegel Grove details

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PSFlyer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi: It has been a long time since I visited Spiegel Grove - to be exact I was there when she was still sitting on her side. I will have a chance to dive her again in a week. Actually planning on 2-3 dives. Will dive EAN32 with 85 LP steel, so I am expecting descent bottom time. I may also strap on an extra 30 on the side for added safety margin.

Can you guys/ladies shed some light on what to expect vs the old days. Any details would be helpful such as positions of descent/ascent lines, depth of the deck, depth of her screws, etc. etc.

Thanks in advance.

I know this is going to be a bit small, even when you click on it, but it gives the overall idea, plus you can just see the white buoys for the down lines on the surface. (You can also buy these cards at dive shops or usually look at them on the boat, but I'm sure you already know that.)

I'll leave it to those more experienced to give you real tips; I just know I like a visual aid so I thought this might be helpful :)

sg.jpg

Actually you should look for an operator willing to do both dives on the Spiegal - its sometimes offered, and worth it - there is just too much to see on a single long dive (unless you dive a rebreather!) - try Jeff at HMS Minnow.com (www.hmsminnow.com)

Done the wreck many times, and you really don't - unlike some wrecks - need to go to the sand - but you can go deep in the "pick up truck bed" (Hell, I did not name it!) part of the ship close to the stern - its a great wreck - IMHO MUCH better than that one they sunk off Key West (LOL).

Totally different dive experience - to me more "real" now that the ship is upright. Better dive, but YMMV.

Assuming zero or minimal current, you should be able to do a tour of the deck on a single dive - go around the whole ship - and you will not be super deep; if you stay above the deck, maybe 80' or less - problem is these is just so much to see, that's why multiple dives, especially on the same day are so valuable - it really worth it to do it on such a day!

Here is some additional info:

Spiegel Grove . Com - from Ocean Divers, Key Largo
symres:sb_unknownannotation.png

Current information about (and status of) LSD-32 SPIEGEL GROVE.
spiegelgrove.com/ - Cached - Similar

Horizon Dive Shop in Key Largo has a specialty wreck dive course specifically designed for that ship that you might be interested in inquiring about if you have the time. I think you get a PADI cert card for it. It involves several days of dives and some class time. They also do double dips on it some days.

I highly recommend you study the photo card before you go down. Your compass is totally useless and it is a big ship that you can easily get turned around on.

If you take your 30 you might want to leave it on the end of the mooring ball line/ship attachment if no one will steal it while you're gone. It might get in the way going in and out the swim throughs. Try to go with someone that is familiar with it. If you can afford it, hire a guide for the first few dives anyway.

A deep dive is great but you don't get to see much in the short time you have. There is much to see and photograph attached to the cranes and upper superstructure in the 60-70' range.

I also dove it several times while on it's side and several times upright. The plaque that used to sit at 55' with the scrub brush is now not very exciting. The propellers are now a little more difficult to see and both are obviously quite a bit deeper. That being said, things are more easily navigated now. You can swim through the bridge and stand how the captain did. Its really cool both ways, but very different. There are still several mooring balls tied to 4 or 5 places on the wreck. Still lots to see, but its like you've never seen it. At least it was for me. If you can double dip it, I would. :)

Agree that there's too much to see on a single dive. We use Silent World. check first, but they usually will do double dips if that fits the boat's diver profile.

Thank you all - great tips. Double dip may not work but I will still be able to do 3 dives on it on 3 separate days. Looking forward to a solid week of diving up and down the keys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom