Problems equalizing-Related to TMJ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Doomz06,

In your post you indicate that your wife has TMJ Syndrome but that she "locked up" during her ocean dive. Simplistically, TMJ is a musculo-skeletal problem in which the muscles that operate the jaws and position the disc within the joint between the joint fossa and the mandibular condyle begin to function "out of sync" and then go on to spasm.

While TMJ may well limit opening due to joint inflammation or muscle spasms, a sudden "lock up" makes me suspect something called an "open lock" if the jaw can't be closed or a "closed lock" if the jaw can't be opened.

Both of these locks can be a result of TMJ muscle spasms but they may also occur as a result of dislocating the mandible out of position within the jaw joint and later, be a cause of TMJ. The little disc within the joint acts kind of like a rubber door stop... either preventing opening or closing... depending on where it has slipped out of position.

She needs to be actively treated for her TMJ/dislocation and then care must be taken not to strain the joint... gum chewing, big sandwiches, scuba, etc.

Assuming that the TMJ can be stabilized, she might want to consider a custom regulator mouthpiece like SeaCure. I have used one for years and it seems to reduce the strain of holding the regulator in my mouth for hours.

SeaCure is heated in hot water and then you bite on it (hopefully in the proper jaw position... you dentist may be able to show you how). There are different SeaCure mouthpieces depending on the diameter of the second stage orifice. Ask at you dive shop.

Unfortunately, there are some people who cannot get enough relief of TMJ symptoms to comfortable hold the mouthpiece for the entire dive.

You wife also was experiencing a stressful dive because of her buoyancy issues. This stress may have made her more susceptible to muscle spasms. Perhaps as she becomes more comfortable this will cease to be an issue.

Thanks guys. We just started to see the dentist again and he felt her jaw and said there is a slight feeling of some issue, and wants to start her on a night sleep guard or something. She never chews gum anyway as it hurts her jaw. I think I'll go ahead and sign her up for a class so she can get comfortable with it all and have the time and learning to see how she likes it, and then also go talk to the dive shop and work on a custom mouth piece.

And, to circle back to the original TMJ/ clearing question - we believe that problems with clearing are very common with TMD (jaw joint dysfunction). Please refer to the article written by Dr Moles at SeaCure > Home, the SeaCure website. It is important to have your TMD treated by a knowledgeable dentist, to help relax the muscles involved in keeping the middle ear open. In addition, we would recommend a custom moldable mouthpiece, such as SeaCure, to reduce muscle activity during dives (since the chewing muscles are related to the Eustachian tube muscles and clearing).

Back
Top Bottom