What if...? Miscellaneous Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

* What would you do if your buddy started making fun of how much air you use?
Just ignore them.

* What would you do if another diver criticized your gear?
Think about what they said, take it onboard if i think it makes sense otherwise ignore it.

* What would you do if you saw something with another divers gear that you thought was unsafe?
If im responsible for them point it out, possibly not let them dive. If they arent anything to do with me i would maybe say something if i thought they weren't aware of it.

* What would you do if you overheard another diver on the boat bragging that they planned to do something they were cautioned against during the briefing?
If im responsible for them inform them that I will assume anyone who does something like that is narked and as such i will immediately initiate a rescue by doing a buoyant lift to the surface. the thought of being physically dragged off the dive tends to keep people in line ive found :D If im not responsible for them i will most likely just ignore them, they have no obligation to listen to anything i say and are unlikely to listen to some random guy who goes over and starts telling them what to do.

* What would you do if you were trying to change a setting on your dive computer and you and your buddy missed part of the DM pre-dive briefing on a boat dive?
Ask the DM to repeat the bit i missed.

I have not read anyone's answers as I'm testing myself here...
Miscellaneous

Lame. I guess I would think about whether I want to try to work it out with the buddy or not, if not, you're done. I'm at where I'm at. If you don't have anything constructive to say and you're being hurtful, I don't really want to invest in you.

I would probably ask them why they feel the way they do. If they are just being jerky, I would ignore them. If they are not being jerky, then maybe they have a great suggestion for me and I can learn something from them.

* What would you do if you saw something with another divers gear that you thought was unsafe?

Being as I'm new I feel a little uncomfortable giving someone else advice. I may ask either them or someone else if they see anything wrong with it too and start a discussion about it.

* What would you do if you overheard another diver on the boat bragging that they planned to do something they were cautioned against during the briefing?

If I'm on a charter boat, I quess I would be a tattle-tale :rofl3: I bet that would really get that guy to like me! LOL!

* What would you do if you were trying to change a setting on your dive computer and you and your buddy missed part of the DM pre-dive briefing on a boat dive?

I have missed a dive brief before due to certain circumstances and asked that the person please give me and my group a brief. I apologized for missing it, but it is important to know what the plan is.

What would you do if your buddy started making fun of how much air you use?
I don't see this being an issue in my experience so far. In my experience, I have always seen experienced divers be more than eloquent in dealing with newer divers and helping if they could with whatever problem them may have. That said, if it did happen, a quick defense, and then if it continued, it must be an insta-buddy, so time to find a new one.

What would you do if another diver criticized your gear?
If it was a safety related critizim then one best listen up and analyze the suggestion. We are all responsible for our own safety, and no one wants to end up a statistic. If a valid concern has been brought up it should be addressed. If it is a brand critizim, then :mooner:

What would you do if you saw something with another divers gear that you thought was unsafe?
I would speak up, that said, as was stated above, every diver is responsible for their own safety, so if it isn't my buddy, it probably does not impact my safety. They can choose to accept whatever risk they want. If it is my buddy, I will need to determine if it is a risk I am willing to accept, as they can most definitly affect my safety.

What would you do if you overheard another diver on the boat bragging that they planned to do something they were cautioned against during the briefing?
I would go back to the rule above. Every diver is responsible for their own safety. If they have already been warned, then it will not do any good to bring it up again. If it is a environmental issue, like damaging the reef, then I would speak up either to the individual, loudly, or to the DM so they would be prevented from doing the dive, be watched closer, etc.

What would you do if you were trying to change a setting on your dive computer and you and your buddy missed part of the DM pre-dive briefing on a boat dive?
Ask that the part missed be repeated. The pre-dive briefing gives important info both from a dive plan perspective (depth, time, etc.) and from a hazard awareness perspective.

Miscellaneous
Tricky question - not actually sure what I'd do in this case. definitely not be their buddy next time though. As it is my buddy will likely always be my wife and she's a bit of an air hog so I don't see this being an issue (for the record I do not make fun of her for it)

What would you do if another diver criticized your gear?

I have a BP/W so this will never happen :) seriously though - I'm probably just say "Why?" Anyone is welcome to criticize my gear but they should expect to have to explain

Depends I think on how unsafe but it would need to be something I felt pretty strongly about to someone I've never met before. Something like a cracked hose probably bring it up "hey did you realize....." but just a piece of gear or configuration that I may not think is safe - likely keeping quiet

What would you do if you overheard another diver on the boat bragging that they planned to do something they were cautioned against during the briefing?

I'll 2nd Dr Wu's answer "Mind my own business and hope they did not delay the trip home."

ask - either during or after the briefing.

I would tell them they are better-off finding another buddy. If they're making fun of my air consumption, then it obviously bothers them.
I'd also re-evaluate my dive performance to see what could be causing me to become an air hog.

I'd probably point out whatever physical flaw they have that would be the most painfull to them. I admit it... I'm that shallow. :kicknut:
It's hard to say how I would avoid this situation. I'm not a gear snob, so I will use whatever works for me regardless of manufacturer or color (except pink).

I would definitely ask them about it. But, I'd point-out to them that I'm still a newbie, and that I am asking out of ignorance.
The only way to avoid this is to dive more often so I'm exposed to as many gear configurations as possible.

I would inform the DM and their buddy (if they were unaware as well)
It's hard to avoid this situation if your a vacation diver like me who is usually on a boat full of strangers.

I'd explain my reason for being distracted, tell them what I did hear from the briefing, and ask them to fill in what I missed. If they gave me attitude about repeating a portion of the briefing, it would probably affect the tip I was to give them at the end of the trip.
The best way to avoid this is to make sure all your gear is dive-ready before the boat leaves the harbor.

Wouldn't bother me. My son uses more air than me so if he were talking trash I'd just throw it right back at him.

Again, something that just wouldn't bother me. If it were constructive criticism, and a good suggestion, I'd consider it. If it were because of my choice of manufacturer or type of equipment, oh well...

I guess that depends. If they seemed like someone that would be open to what I had to say, I would point it out to them without trying to sound like a know it all. If not, I'd probably mention something to a DM or instructor or someone they would more likely take seriously. Maybe even to their buddy who could have issues diving with them.

Really not sure how I would handle that one, especially if I'm not paired up with them :idk:

I would have to ask questions about I missed. I can't imagine putting myself in the situation where I'm doing that during the pre-dive briefing, but I guess it is possible.

Typically, my first dive, I'm an air hog,so I just warn my buddy in advance. After that, my air consumption is excellent, so I'd never poke fun at my buddy who probably is drinking his air compared to me. However, should a buddy pick at me about my air consumption, I'd remind them he/she is always welcome to find another buddy. Now, are we going to dive or tease?
* What would you do if another diver criticized your gear?I'd first deterimine if it was a safety criticism and I'd listen with interest. Next I'd ask for valid reasons, proven justifications of their criticisms. However, I wouldn't really waste too much time elaborating on the conversation because I did extensive research prior to purchasing my equipment, I've registered all of it with the manufacturers for recall notices, I routinely check the manufacturer website for recalls, and I maintain my equipment properly and yes, I've read all the manuals.
* What would you do if you saw something with another divers gear that you thought was unsafe?I would suggest with a tone of friendliness - not arrogance - hey, you might want to check ..... again, it looks like it may be......... (fill in the blank with whatever the gear is and safety concern. Or offer to check it for them. I might discreetly mention it to their buddy or the DM.
* What would you do if you overheard another diver on the boat bragging that they planned to do something they were cautioned against during the briefing?First, I know a lot of people bark but don't bite, so I may do a combination laugh and warning just to be heard: "You better think twice about that. None of us want to risk our lives if you choose to do that." I would be sure to let the diver know that his/her safety was my intent, not me being judgmental or critical. THere's nothing much worse than being on a charter boat or live-aboard with divers who are offended and becomes the sour-puss on the trip. :argue:
First, that would never happen because I stop and listen to briefings as a rule.:dork2: But, hypothetically...I'd apologize to the group, admit we were distracted and politely ask for a repeat of what we missed.

"I can't help it, me and my reg have a special bond, we take each other's breath away"

"Bugger off dude, I'll see you at the safety stop"

Start a friendly conversation and point it out to them. I would try asking them what they were trying to do with that particular feature. Then I'd tell them why I thought it would be unsafe.

Call out "REALLY dude?" and talk to them about it. If the buddy pair don't seem to fluster at the thought then I'd let them know that I'd have to tell the DM about it. And I would too. From there it's on the DM and the liabilities waivers.

Ask another buddy pair about the plan. If they didn't seem to be too confident at explaining it I would then sheepishly tell the DM my situation and ask for a quick run down of the dive plan.

Ah, this one bring back memories ... :wink:

When I was a new diver, my buddies used to tease me that they could see the sides of my tank cavitate when I inhaled. They were coming back with 1500 to 2000 psi in the same size tank I was draining on a 20-minute dive.

At first I felt bad ... but they were my friends, and teasing is what friends do. It was all in good fun, so I decided not to let it bother me. In those rare serious moments, they always made sure I understood that it was normal, and that with practice it would get better. And it did.

Now I can outlast most of them ... :D

Ah ... my first exposure to DIR was some diver kitting up on the seawall with a rig that looked decidedly different than mine. My (then) wife was there for her OW checkout dives, and she was as curious about this strange setup as I was. The guy was a complete jerk ... and pointed out that our equipment was not just suboptimal, but probably dangerous. The wife was very worried ... this guy appeared to know what he was talking about after all. We brought it up to her (and my) instructor who told us there were different configurations out there, and that they all had advantages and drawbacks. He told us we'd learn more about these choices in later classes, but that there was nothing wrong with the gear we were using.

I later learned that the fellow we'd been talking to wasn't much more experienced than we were ... and that he'd just completed some class called "Fundamentals". It colored my perception of that style of diving for quite some time.

Act interested in how they plan to use it. Not too long ago I was at a dive site next to a couple who were gearing up. I noticed that they had both removed the BCD inflator hose from their regulators. So I asked them about it. They said they'd just taken a drysuit class and the instructor had told them to only use their drysuit for buoyancy control ... so they figured they didn't need the BCD hoses anymore. I said "so you just orally inflate the BCD for things like surface swimming?" They looked at each other, and the wife told her husband to put her BCD hose back on.

Turns out this was their first dive after drysuit class, and they hadn't really thought through what had, at first, seemed like a neat idea ...

Nothing ... as von Schiller once put it, "against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain". I long ago learned that some people have a need to do stupid things, and you cannot talk them out of it. The best you can hope for is that Darwin's taking the day off ... and that their stupidity won't have an adverse impact on your day.

*What would you do if you were trying to change a setting on your dive computer and you and your buddy missed part of the DM pre-dive briefing on a boat dive?
Oh boy ... like that never happens to me ... :idk:

I usually end up like "Marlin" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom