New diver, simple question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I couldn't read this thread without putting my two cents worth in. I think you will love this sport. I'm so addicted that spending this Saturday at home is killing me. I want to be wet. I'm 6'4" tall and weigh 280lbs. Getting gear that fits and is functional is a little difficult but, once you have it it is SOOOOO nice to have your own stuff. Getting started is a sizable monetary commitment. This gear isn't cheap. But, read more on here and take the advice. Rent and borrow equipment so you can see what models/brands work for you. Do some research on a custom wetsuit. You can get them for a decent price and when it comes to wetsuits, fit is everything.

I would consider myself an above average swimmer. I've swam quite alot in my life and feel very comfortable in the water. I can easily swim without a life jacket and actually prefer to not wear one. (my friends and family all wear them 100% of the time in water)

I do ok under pressure. I've played sports so I am able to focus in trouble.
Would be willing to put some time into this. It's something I've always wanted to do.

Excellent. I am sure that you will do great.

The more you post, the more I think you will do well. Equipment fit is quickly becoming your biggest issue and that is one that can be overcome.....although it might take a few dollars. :) (custom wet suits are expensive but can be had).

Agreed.

Then I would say take some of the suggestions that have been given to you, do some research and go for it! One of my only regrets with diving is that I waited so long to finally get certified.

One of my only regrets in diving is that I did not do more research when I bought my gear the first time so I did not have to spend so much on useless kits and odds/ins and could have used it on trips with all the money I would have saved.

I started diving as soon as I could. I am so glad I did!

I don't know if you're going to find any rental gear that fits. I've been cert for almost 2 yrs and I know things go up but $500-$700 seems way high to me.

John, your true passion for the sport of diving is shining through your posts. I'm a firm believer you can do whatever you put your mind and heart to. I agree the gear may be an issue for you, so I would look to the possibility of a backplate and wing instead of a jacket style bc. I think a BP/w may suit your size and budget better, but, of course, do the research.

Also, your posts suggest you have a limited knowledge of the sport of diving, so I recommend you contact a local dive shop and ask to accompany them on a dive trip as a non-diver to observe a diving trip intinerary. This experience alone is a huge learning opportunity, not to mention making some good contacts.

I wish you the best in your pursuit of diving.
All the best,
Daybreak

\
Also, your posts suggest you have a limited knowledge of the sport of diving, so I recommend you contact a local dive shop and ask to accompany them on a dive trip as a non-diver to observe a diving trip intinerary. This experience alone is a huge learning opportunity, not to mention making some good contacts.

I will do that. This dive shop here in Knoxville offers a Discover scuba day. I was going to goto that. I doubt I'll be able to scuba then tho, doubt they have rental gear for someone as fat as myself. So knowing that watching is a big help gives me eve more motivation to go.

I will do that. This dive shop here in Knoxville offers a Discover scuba day. I was going to goto that. I doubt I'll be able to scuba then tho, doubt they have rental gear for someone as fat as myself. So knowing that watching is a big help gives me eve more motivation to go.

Give them a heads up you are coming and need large gear, dropping by is even better, you never know what they can come up with if given a little time to work on it.

I would consider myself an above average swimmer. I've swam quite alot in my life and feel very comfortable in the water. I can easily swim without a life jacket and actually prefer to not wear one. (my friends and family all wear them 100% of the time in water)

I do ok under pressure. I've played sports so I am able to focus in trouble.
Would be willing to put some time into this. It's something I've always wanted to do.

Moose, I agree with Herman, this post cinched it.

First off, diving is not difficult or strenuous. Sure getting in and out of the water means lugging about 75 pounds of gear but after that it's relaxation for the most part. In concept you are trying to be as relaxed and efficient as possible. The general goal is to maximize bottom time while sightseeing. I call it an anaerobic sport.

Diving is an adaptive sport to begin with. I know my mom taught me not to breathe with my face in the water! Every diver has gear preferences and needs. Size is simply one avenue of adaptation. Custom wetsuits and dry-suits are commonly available. The clientele includes folks with needs running the gamut, so you are covered on the exposure protection.

Buoyancy compensators are available in a range of sizes and an experienced shop probably has you covered. If not, a plate and wing system fitted with webbing sized to fit will have you styling!

Neither of these items cost much more than off the rack gear. once you have all of your gear a day of shore diving is the cost of an air fill ~$5 per tank. 2 tanks is usually enough for most divers if the site is handy a single tank outing is even more common. This will all vary with the situation but diving for an equipped diver shore diving is cheap! Vacations and charter boats will drive the cost up.

With your personal gear behind you the cost of the rest is probably between $1500 - $2500. This will vary with new/used (most go new) temperature range you are dressing for and if, what & how many cylinders you choose to own.

$375 for the class and up to $300 for the personal gear sounds about right these days. mask, booties and fins need to fit and the snorkel is required. The mask in particular needs to be personally fit and IMO is a must own item for anything past a discover dive. If you can try some shop fins in the pool before buying it may help. Your sense of what you like will be new but fins are probably the most expensive and subjective item you will be buying initially.

The discover dive is a splendid opportunity and plan. Given your water skills a good time is almost guaranteed and the hook will be set. The nice thing about doing the DD is that you will start class already KNOWING that you can do this. It should peel away layers of self doubt, concern, anxiety or whatever gets people going downhill.

Have a great time and keep us posted. We we all new to this at one point.

Pete

I am so ready to try this out! Getting very excited. Only thing I worry about is having to do the discover dive and class all alone. Everyone else will have their GF, buddy or family and I'll be all by myself :( Sucks having no friends. I mean, I have friends, but if it doesnt involve smoking pot, or drinking beer they aren't interested.

I am so ready to try this out! Getting very excited. Only thing I worry about is having to do the discover dive and class all alone. Everyone else will have their GF, buddy or family and I'll be all by myself :( Sucks having no friends. I mean, I have friends, but if it doesnt involve smoking pot, or drinking beer they aren't interested.

Then you may find scuba opens up a lot of oppertunity for new friends. It's not uncommon for us to have 2 or 3 "single" divers in a class so odds are they are looking for someone to dive with after the class. If there is a dive club near you, join, most hold activites like pool parties and quarry dives during the year, great places to meet dives. Shop sponcered trips are also a good place to meet other divers in your area. And don't overlook local dive sites, we have several quarries near us and it faily common for someone to just walk up and ask to join us. Unless they prove to be unsafe or a real jerk they are always invited back.

Obese is not so bad. It's good to have a goal to lose some, just for health reasons and to make diving easier. I am by far not a skinny girl. I weigh 230 lbs and am only 5'4". I am clumsy and awkward on land. Underwater though, I like to think I am doing very well. I get exercise that doesn't hurt. I actually lost some weight by diving. I feel much more graceful and in control under water. It also gave me an incentive to lose weight. I could be better underwater. I could be less risk if I lost weight. I found I really love diving, so off the weight goes. (I hope).

The only thing I made sure of before I started though, was could I take care of myself and not be a risk to myself or other divers? Can I carry my own equipment? Can I climb onto a boat? Can I reach everything on my gear underwater? Am I able to address any problem situation if it happens? Am I able to assist my buddy if he/she is in trouble? I found that I could do all of these things, and so I signed up to dive. It was well worth it. So I would just ask those same kinds of questions and see what you think? If you can do them, then have at it!

As for the friends. You will be surprised. I am normally a socially awkward person. Not very good at it. The people at my dive shop were great though and I found quite a few people who are ready to go diving and hang out. I made a lot of friends doing this. When I did my class, all 4 of us were there on our own. I now dive with one of them regularly.

Back
Top Bottom