Why did they stop making metal regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Just wondering about something.

I've really gotten into these classic single hose regs lately with all metal second stages.
The benefits seem to be that they are really sturdy and they look cool.
The drawback seem to be that they might be a little heavier but that seems to have been resolved with the way the exhaust T has a place for the reg to rest on your chin to reduce jaw fatigue.
Why did they stop making metal second stages? was it cost considerations or something else?
I saw that SP has a metal reg now again but I haven't looked at it closely. I don't know if it's just the screw on cover that's metal or the whole second stage body. It's also brutally expensive.

Metal cost more money, it was that reason alone regardless of all the myth and hyperbola. Plastic now often called "composite" is cheap to produce and because it can be molded into any shape.

N

They have over advertised the weight issue, but the true reason is cost.

The out of the water weight is far less significant in the water with the air in the regulator. When traveling (by air) the weight can add up a bit, but the second stage is not the most critical issue.

The corrosion resistance is real, but I have plenty of 40 and 50 year old chromed regulators that look great. Yesterday I was just servicing three Poseidon Cyklon second stages and after cleaning they look new. At least two of these second stages are about 40 years old. I want to see a plastic regulator last 40 years (and look this good).

The cost of producing a complex shape of thin metal is significant. That is why the new Scubapro A700 cost so much (that price is probably somewhat inflated, but production cost is real).

Part of the cost is also going to be on the plating. Plating processes are not environmentally friendly and therefore the cost has increased.

The old Scubapro 109 involved several processes to stamp, braze, plate, etc. When you compare it to a single molding process it is easy to see the cost difference.

The plastic molded parts are dirt cheap to make in comparison.

They made regs cheaper and lighter, and now they are alot of money. more profit to stay afloat. Metal regs had less problems, less maintenance, no broken plastic parts, the dive industry needed also a reg that needed less cleaning when serviced, clean a couple things, replace a few things, and reg looked good.

Taking pics was always a glare problem, so in all aspects there was many reasons for a change.

Your last rebuild ZXY was just left to die, my same second stage is in superb shape. They will both breathe the same.

Happy Diver

The corrosion thing I don't buy.
When I got my MK3 it was about as nasty as they can possibly get. The guy who gave it to me almost threw it in the trash.
When I was done with it it looked like a brilliant piece of jewelry.
Despite the fact it was neglected for so long and NEVER rinsed it didn't seem to matter when it was soaked and rebuilt. It works great and looks better than new.

I broke the purge cover on my more modern plastic fantastic G200B a few years ago.
This reg was made it 1998. SP didn't make the purge cover any longer and had no old stock. My LDS called SP and SP wanted to know if I had kept up with my annual services on the reg. I did not so they would not honnor the warranty of replacing the part with a conversion they had. The LDS said that they would have to replace the body with a newer one so that the new style purge cover would work on it, but I would have to pay for it myself because I missed one service on time in 10 years. The conversion I found out would cost more than a new second stage.
I said OK thanks give me my reg back and I'll figure out something else. The LDS charged me for their time to call SP to find all this out and I got nothing.

After one post on the internet I had two covers in the mail from friends that same day.

Now I'm into these much older metal SP regs and I can get anything I want for them.

I never really noted the weight of my metal regs when in the water. Interestingly, even though I had some balanced adjustable plastic 2nds, I found my metal 2nds actually a better breather.

Metal regs are rare here in my area, so when I saw some going on a local ads site, I got them and refinished them.

PICT0011.jpg

...Taking pics was always a glare problem, so in all aspects there was many reasons.

Well, as can be seen above, ain't that the truth!

But at any rate, now I'm trying to get rid of my plastic 2nds :D

Last edited:
Ed
Those look very nice.

Thanks for the picture.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom