SeaLife Mini II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any opinions on this camera as a starter? It seems that the reefmaster mini was popular as a good starter camera. Did they make any significant changes to this version on any advanced features?

I am looking forward to an in depth review of the camera.

I really like the idea of no housing -- Still must be an o-ring system around the battery/memory card door but I haven't found any info about that.

It comes with a spare o-ring which I presume is for the battery & SDHC card compartment.
Any opinions on this camera as a starter? It seems that the reefmaster mini was popular as a good starter camera. Did they make any significant changes to this version on any advanced features?
Yeah, at that price I'd say it's a nice starter, and you can add a strobe later. I hated seeing that it uses AAA batteries, but it claims 500+ pics with Energizer Ultimate batteries so replace batteries every 2 or 3 days when you hit 250. I don't have a use for used AAA batteries with life left but you may? If you want to go with rechargeables, quality of batteries and charges can vary a lot so I buy where my pro photographer friends buy - and I really like their new Low Discharge batteries along with their conditioning Maha charger! You see claims that NiMH batteries don't have a memory effect, but they do - just less than NiCds. Low Discharge Batteries from Thomas Distributing

It's also listed at Slightly negative Buoyancy and I 've seen a lot of reports of divers losing their cameras so get the flotation wrist strap too.

Other that those notes, it looks appealing: low cost, no housing, 9 mp, card reader included (but extras are cheap at Meritline.com), high card capacity, 640 wide video, Rubber-Armored, etc.

Without a strobe, you'll want a good photoshop program to adjust colors and lighting. I find that the free one from IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide is great with underwater or other dark pics.

I would be interested in seeing a review as well. This would be a good lightweight camera if it takes good pictures uw.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this camera and what the pics are like.

It would be great to have a small camera to easily fit in my BCD pocket.
Hopefully it's also small enough to take to the pub and I'll be able to wash it off if/when someone spills beer on it.

Based on my experience with the Reefmaster Mini, it should be a decent cam.
The higher video res, fps and MP are good, biggest drawback, still NO optical zoom. Using the WAL without ext. flash slightly compromises lighting of the lower left frame area, and judging by the unchanged int. flash position on the Mini II, you can probably expect the same.

Couldn't find the Mini II on the Sealife site, Leisure Pro has some of the specs listed, in case you want to take a look.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this camera and what the pics are like.

It would be great to have a small camera to easily fit in my BCD pocket.
Hopefully it's also small enough to take to the pub and I'll be able to wash it off if/when someone spills beer on it.
I met a crying, drunk girl who'd lost her inner dive camera that way. I thot she was brave to take a dive camera to a island bar party when a lower cost land camera would have worked well. I know that idea is popular with some, and Customs can gig you for bringing more than one camera into some countries, but I like to minimize risks. I thot it was dumber than she left it laying on a table. :cheers: So how would yours get wet again?

Get a cheap, backup snorkel camera for that maybe. :eyebrow:

My husband and I jsut bought the mini ii today and will be taking it to our trip to Hawaii next week. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the pictures turn out. We didn't get the strobe flash as we really wanted to see how well it took without it and figured we'd build it up with the strobe and wide angle lens for our next dive trip in October if all goes well. for 200.00 you can't beat the price -

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom