Sea Pro Divers @ Grand Sunset Princess

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ozwald

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Allright.....

So I had originally planned to dive with Geofish out of Playa but due to a rather crappy chain of events that landed a friend of mine in the hospital it kind of changed the schedule a bit. Due to timing and logistics my bud and I decided that we would go wit the "resort" dive op which was Seapro.

This could get long so I'll apologize now.

My buddy and I went and chatted with the booking dude at the Seapro office/hut. Talked about doing some diving and arranged for a deep and a shallow on one day and some cenote diving the next. Now this is where it starts. My bud is only "Naui Scuba Diver" cert'd, limited to 18 meters correct? The first dive was to 100 feet.

Here's where it gets good.

Another bud that was with us was interested in doing a "discover" scuba session. The guy said that they would take him to the pool and if he felt comfortable he could accompany us for the shallow afternoon dive. He felt comfy and on the boat he came for the "shallow" afternoon dive. Not only did he come aboard but so did 2 others. A middle aged fellow and a 12 year old boy.

So we arrive at the destination prepare to get in the water when my buddy leans over to me (the "never dove before buddy") and says "how do we get into the water?". Well i guess they never explained that he would be doing a "backward" roll into the ocean because once I told him how we were going to enter the water he looked shocked! Actually his expression was more like .....well you know. So once I heard this I asked him what exactly they were shown. 3 first timers in a pool for 10 minutes......that's it ! Anyhow I thought that as long as an instructor stayed with the 3 beginners everything should be okay. Boy was i wrong. The minute we got to the bottom it was apparent that all three were having issues with buoyancy which is to be expected. But, all three beginners were going in different directions and at one point I couldn't even see one of the dive-masters. Now while i was the more experienced out of my friends i am in no way trained to deal with this situation but I needed to stay with my bud for fear of him drifting away or to the surface or whatever. I must have gassed about 1800 psi trying to hold my buddy down and get him sorted out. At one point I caught the dive masters attention, signaled to him him to watch my friend. He looked right at me and put his hands in the air as if to say what?!?! then swam away.

After getting back on the boat and helping a few of the other divers up, the two hired hands were eating sunflower seeds and laughing at something, I had to contain myself. i was fully prepared toss all of these $#&*'s overboard. I waited till we got back to shore and had a very intimate chat with them.

The date of this dive was Monday, March 21st. I found out later that most operators cancelled their dives that day in the Playa area, the harbour was closed apparently. These clowns took out 3 very inexperienced divers on a 50 foot drift dive. Is there something wrong with this?

As it turns out the two divemasters were chasing around a rather cute young lady that had been diving with them for the past week or so, not admittedly of course.

I must say though that the next day at the cenotes was completely different. Awesome dive.

AQnyhow I dont know if this is the norm for these type of operations, I sure hope not. One thing you can be sure of is that I for one will never dive with a resort operation again.

As the old saying goes one bad apple spoils the bushel but really don't be so quick to lump all resort ops in the same boat there are some real good ones out there. Scorpio Divers is the one dive op I always use when in Cancun and highly recommend them to anyone looking for a great dive op.

Most resort ops in "Playa" are like that Rick. They don't care what experience level you are, if you want to dive and they have space you will go with the group no matter where they are going. And before people start doubting this on here let me tell you a story about one of my kite boarding friends that went out with a dive op out of Sandos here in Playa. I will name them so people will stay away from them. He is a complete beginner, never dived before. He works near Sandos so he decided to check with their dive shop. Well they took him into the pool for 15 minutes showed him how to clear his mask, regulator, and how to recover it. Nothing about buoyancy, clearing your air spaces, or anything. So they get out on the water and he hears "shipwreck" in the briefing and thinks, "cool we are going to a ship wreck", well the wreck here in Playa is at 88-92ft at it's deepest point, this is about 50ft too deep for a discover scuba diver to go. Plus you have the over head environment and the strong current that Mama Vina gives you. He did fine and actually really enjoyed the dive, thank God he is somewhat of a natural and did not freak out. The next day he decides he wants to go dive again so they get out on the boat thinking they are going to dive Tortugas and Barracuda, but the dive master say "uuhh lets go find the sharks" and take the group to the Cantil (Trench between here and Cozumel) to 55m. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!? He got super narced, but did fine. As he is telling me this story I literally felt like screaming and said to him. "you are honestly lucky you are not f$&#@*g dead right now"!! He has no experience, no training, has no idea what being narced feels like, no clue what to do if he get separated, and they take him down to 180ft because the dive masters want to go see sharks! Nothing happened, fortunately, but these guys keep this up and someone is going to get hurt. I just though someone needed to hear this story because when I heard it, I could not believe it.

I am not saying dive with Geofish, but I am saying rather than paying $100-140 for a two tank dive where who knows what the group will be like, come into town and find a dive op that you are comfortable with. Oh and Reffdvr Scorpio Divers are very good, we send anyone who wants to dive in Cancun to them, they are great!

Thanks for confirming what I "feared" to be true with the resort ops. It doesn't take long to jump on this board and find out who are the responsible dive ops are, just takes a little planning. Recommend to do that anytime you are going somewhere new. Geofish, my jaw literally dropped while reading your story :shakehead:

Well...this is great to read...

I was planning to do my Advance Open Water with them....cause they are in my resort (Grand Sunset Princess) and I didn't want to take taxi/collective over to PDC...($$$ increase my cost)

Grrrr.............:confused::confused::confused:

Man - those are some scary Discover dives you each described. I did Discover with Dressel Divers in Jamaica 3 1/2 years ago not knowing much about diving (even though I dove a few times uncertified back in the late 70's), and they, at least, performed better. They kept us in the pool for a quite a while letting us practice while working with people individually and kept the dive to about 40'. I did this with my daughter, who was all of 13 at the time - to even consider we could have been with an op that might take us down 180'!!!!! Scares the s*** out of me.

Do all of the dve ops in Playa need you to take taxis from the area resorts? We will be at Hacienda Tres Rios and looking for an op for June - can / do any of the dive ops pick you up or is a taxi the only way?

I am not saying dive with Geofish, but I am saying rather than paying $100-140 for a two tank dive where who knows what the group will be like, come into town and find a dive op that you are comfortable with. Oh and Reffdvr Scorpio Divers are very good, we send anyone who wants to dive in Cancun to them, they are great!
You might not say it, but I will, Dive with Geofish, Safe, profesional, and very accomadating :D

Man - those are some scary Discover dives you each described. I did Discover with Dressel Divers in Jamaica 3 1/2 years ago not knowing much about diving (even though I dove a few times uncertified back in the late 70's), and they, at least, performed better. They kept us in the pool for a quite a while letting us practice while working with people individually and kept the dive to about 40'. I did this with my daughter, who was all of 13 at the time - to even consider we could have been with an op that might take us down 180'!!!!! Scares the s*** out of me.

Do all of the dve ops in Playa need you to take taxis from the area resorts? We will be at Hacienda Tres Rios and looking for an op for June - can / do any of the dive ops pick you up or is a taxi the only way?

I heard none of them can't....(well the ones I have asked) cause there is some sort of contact or something with the taxi company....that stop them...(but how would the taxi company know??):idk::idk:

I've stayed at a a couple of resorts around playa, and taxi's are about 15 USD each way. Yea, it increases the cost, but well worth it to go with a better (and safer) op. I'll give a thumbs up to Abyss Dive Center, used them a few times. Very safe, small boats = less divers kicking you :wink:, good people. I'll use them again next time I go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom