What do most Scuba divers do for a living?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heavy Equipment Operator, that's right I move dirt! I started diving at 12 so the two have no connection. Working in construction is usually nice because I'm out of work by 3:30 and there is plenty of time to dive.

I am a Park Ranger. I get to be indoors and outdoors, I meet people from all over the world everyday, and I get to share my passion for history. As a hobby, I like scuba diving on the World War II wrecks of North Carolina. I also like to observe sea animals in their natural habitats.

Civil Engineer = I make boring documents from trees and carbon.

I use to work for the Forest Service which was a lot of outdoor activity, but it just doen't pay very well.

Isn't one of the nice things about diving the fact that it cuts accross every section of society, and no-one actually cares about what you do for a living anyway? Generally when diving we don't discuss work stuff, I go to work to pay for the things I want to do, and although I enjoy what I do, I live from 5-9

I'm a computer science student with no idea what I want to do with it when I graduate. My intention for now is to go for my DM after I finish school and see about working as a DM (and then possibly instructor) for a year or 2 and then see what happens. My diving is currently financed by a crummy part time job at a grocery store. "Do you need any bags, sir? Will that be paper or plastic?"

Plastics Engineer. I work for a company that supplies parts and machines for the plastics industry.

One of our clients that I've had the pleasure of visiting on a few occasions is Pelican (manufacturer of dive lights and waterproof cases). I've managed to get a few freebies from them that otherwise would have been discarded due to miniscule cosmetic defects. Some of our other customers have built molds that make Omega flip-fins, and silicon mouth-pieces for regulators and snorkels.

We're also in discussions with a company that wants to buy a machine that makes plastic components for Spare Air units. :duck:

Pathologist , mostly surgical pathology with some lab management. I keep pretty busy, but try to take at least one vacation per yr with diving as a goal.

I'm an oil and gas consultant. A weird occupation for a hippie, yes, but I'm trying to change the system from within :)

I'm a mould and tool designer. Decent pay, plus I have the freedom of an entire tool and die shop to make toys for my own diving.

Telecommunications systems technician. I work primarily with large business and government contracts, with data circuits ranging from 9.6 kbs all the way up to OC192, or 10gig optical circuits (which I am currently doing at this second in the basement of a hospital).

It pays the bills and is challenging enough to stay fun after 14 years. It does eat up a lot of time though, I get around 350 hours of overtime a year in, which means less time to dive than I would like. Living in Jersey eats up most of the cash so I get in about 1 trip a year. Gosh this is depressing, I need to change threads...

Back
Top Bottom