Volunteer divers and employed divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, I never actually thought about the "volunteer" possibilities. I think my son and I would really enjoy that, as long as we could fit it into our busy schedules. Anyone have any knowledge about volunteer opportunities in Orlando, Florida ??

I'm a volunteer for my local Pubic Safety Dive Team. I get paid to dive swimming pools. I just don't have a interest to dive an aquarium. I'd rather see the sea life in the wild. Although Atlanta has a nice one I'm told. I don't want to support it by volunteering or by buying a ticket to view it. To each their own, If it was my call I'd let the sea life free (I'm not a PETA wacko, I like eating seafood and other dead animals). Before everyone jumps on me for saying that I will say, I do understand the lure to dive in a clear shallow water tank that's full of sea life. And for a lot of land locked divers it does offer them some diving conditions they may never or rarely have the opportunity to dive.

Question: Do aquariums require their volunteers to use "aquarium tank only" gear to minimize the possibility of introducing some type of contaminant or undesired species from the open ocean?

Question: Do aquariums require their volunteers to use "aquarium tank only" gear to minimize the possibility of introducing some type of contaminant or undesired species from the open ocean?

When a group of us here on SB did the aquarium dive at Baltimore's National, the aquarium supplied the tanks, regs, BC and weights. Divers brought their own exposure suit, fins and mask.

To the OP, everyone in our group agreed that the best part of the aquarium dive was playing/interacting with the children on the other side of the glass windows.

I started volunteering with the dive team at the NY Aquarium in Brooklyn this winter. Our main task is cleaning the exhibits, which accumulate algae quickly. Our aquarium has a very restricted budget and is always having to deal with cuts. It's nowhere near as nice as other aquariums I've been to in the US, but it's the only one we've got in NYC so it's where I volunteer. I've gotten to dive with penguins, harbor seals, even some sharks, and the regular diving experience I get from doing it is payment enough for the hard work. And it is very hard work -- we must wear lots of weight to get down in the tanks, where we clean glass and scrub structures. Sometimes we're diving in wetsuits in 52F water.

We also have to supply most of our own equipment, because the aquarium doesn't have the funds to supply it to us. They do provide wetsuits, hoods, and gloves, and they supply tanks. Unfortunately that, and the time commitment involved (1 day every 2 weeks, usually about 5-6 hour days), keep a lot of divers from joining up.

I'm a volunteer for my local Pubic Safety Dive Team. I get paid to dive swimming pools. I just don't have a interest to dive an aquarium. I'd rather see the sea life in the wild. Although Atlanta has a nice one I'm told. I don't want to support it by volunteering or by buying a ticket to view it. To each their own, If it was my call I'd let the sea life free (I'm not a PETA wacko, I like eating seafood and other dead animals). Before everyone jumps on me for saying that I will say, I do understand the lure to dive in a clear shallow water tank that's full of sea life. And for a lot of land locked divers it does offer them some diving conditions they may never or rarely have the opportunity to dive.

The point to zoos and aquariums as I understand it is 3 fold.

1- support wildlife by studying and attempting to breed animals. Captive breeding allows other institutions to avoid taking stock from the wild, it also under certain circumstances allows a wild population to be replenished.

2- it allows the general public an opportunity to get close and begin to care about a variety of ecosystems they ordinarily would not know about. People will only protect and care about what they know about. With out dolphin shows and Hollywood's Flipper, for example, there would have been zero pressure for dolphin safe tuna.

3- make money

I volunteer for 1 and 2, you can't get away from 3 where ever you go.

We do a couple of things where I dive. For the most part except for your mask and booties, all gear is supplied by the facility. I own my own wetsuit that has the facility logos on it for hygene reasons. We are only allowed to dive personal gear if the DSO approves it. I gather more for insurance and safety reasons. He does not approve much.

Between exhibits and if I dove outside the facility between dive days with my suit and mask, we soak in a hot freshwater tub for a minimum of 10 minutes. Most sw pathogens that the biologists and vets are worried about cannot survive long in fw so that is enough. The animals themselves are given vitamins and antibiotics as needed and routinely examined by the vet staff.

Hope that answers your question.

Thanks for saying these things, seaducer. While I understand the concern that animals should not be locked up, I feel that ultimately zoos and aquariums (accredited ones) contribute more good to this world than bad. They engage people from a young age and therefore provide an opportunity to teach kids about the importance of respecting nature and the ecology of our planet. The people who work at zoos and aquariums have devoted their lives to making sure the animals in captivity have the best lives possible. And the money raised at these places often goes toward projects that help animals in the wild.

Thanks for saying these things, seaducer. While I understand the concern that animals should not be locked up, I feel that ultimately zoos and aquariums (accredited ones) contribute more good to this world than bad. They engage people from a young age and therefore provide an opportunity to teach kids about the importance of respecting nature and the ecology of our planet. The people who work at zoos and aquariums have devoted their lives to making sure the animals in captivity have the best lives possible. And the money raised at these places often goes toward projects that help animals in the wild.

It is a double edged sword for sure. When I first noticed Steve Irwin I could not have hated anyone more (I am also an amatuer herpetoculturist). Here he was being all crazy and loud and, well I am sure you have seen his shows.

But look at all the support he got? The awareness he raised was second to none, I think. A large part of that was Animal Planet but still.

I look at some of the animals in our exhibit and, I much rather dive with sharks in the wild. Ours seem bored out of their minds, if that is possible. But here these animals are doing some wonderful things to help their wild cousins. When an 8 foot long 500+ pound sandtiger passes inches from my head while I am waving at kids in the tunnel, you can see the awe and wonder in the eyes of kids and adults alike. Maybe I am reading into things but it seems to me as some people look at those animals in a slightly different light. Not as fearful. And maybe one day these people will stumble on a show like Sharkwater, and instead of being nonchalent they become outraged, and apply some pressure to the finning industry and help shut it down. That is one reason I volunteer.

The Baltimore Aquarium definitely does this. I believe the aquarium in VA Beach also has this policy.

I was a volunteer diver at the NY Aquarium for about 2-years, and will be again when we move back home. Best thing I ever did. The work was hard, we had to supply all our own gear save for tanks, and the days were quite long (we dives whether it was snowing or stinking hot), but it felt so worthwhile. The ocean has given me so much joy that I felt it was the very least I could do to 'pay it back'. Besides, where else can you dive with everything from harbor seals to jackass penguins to sturgeons to Caribbean reef fish (in the middle of NYC?!) Or blow raspberries at a baby walrus through the glass of his tank (which he always returned!) If seeing me and my colleagues at the aquarium, or listening to our little lectures outside the various exhibits inspired one visitor in 20 to get scuba certified or even think twice about their seafood choices when eating out, then I say: mission accomplished.

The people were/are so wonderful there. Such dedicated folk - to the oceans and waterways, to the animals, and to each other. Christmas, holidays, whatever...the paid staff are there at the crack of dawn to tend the animals, and fuss over them as if they're their own children. Not easy, given the budget cuts they were always faced with, but they made the best of what can be a tough situation. Our dive team was very close-knit: we organized dive trips together at least once a year, as well as the odd informal dinner. Best of all, that's how I met my fiance, although it took a while: I was a weekend volunteer, while Rog volunteered on Wednesdays, so we didn't cross paths immediately. Amazing work, great people, wonderful animals, and true love...working at the aquarium has given me all that and then some. Just when you think diving can't possibly enrich your life more...!

Back
Top Bottom