Egypt Travel update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Guys,

Joking aside, is there anybody on the ground in Hurghada who can confirm the current security situation. From the net I can't see any security issues out there right now, but heading over in a few days so wanted to check the situation with someone in country.

Thanks,

I'm in Sharm but i can tell you it's fine in Hurghada. It's actually fine all over Egypt at the moment. Cairo is back to being as normal as it ever was, my mum was in Alexandria (okay on a cruise ship stop) but all seems to be okay there.

No worries in Hurghada.

Cheers

C.

The same in Dahab, everything really quite exept the wind.....

Just got back this morning from our 2 resort, 2 week trip to the Red Sea and the first thing to say is a big Thanks to Crowley (Sharm), Sarah & Daniel (Nuweiba) for making our trip absolutely awesome and totally unforgettable.

I can confirm to all those doubters out there.
Absolutely no sign of all those "Man eating Sharks"..
Absolutely no sign of any unrest or protests... or anything to spoil your dive vacation

Is there trouble in Egypt? Yes... A complete lack of divers :wink: Book your flights people, as now is a fantastic time to be taking a vacation in the Red Sea.

Mini Trip report for those interested.
In Sharm (our first week), it was a shadow of it's former busy self with very few divers (and even less tourists) to fill all those empty dive boats.
Fortunately, Sinai divers were brilliant and have an excellent atmosphere to make you feel right at home, with of course few Sakara’s at the end of the day, while you wax lyrical about the days adventures.
Is the diving good in Sharm? All I can say is, when was the last time you were at 'Shark and Yolanda' with only 1 other boat? That's my 7th trip to Egypt and the dive sites have never been so deserted and unspoilt by a wall of bubbles.

In Nuweiba, just 2 hours through the mountains from Sharm, (second week) diving with African Divers has been some of my absolute favourite underwater experiences to date.
If you have ever dreamed of waking up at 7am, having a 4 course breakfast on your balcony overlooking a tranquil pristine beach (Swisscare hotel is absolutely idyllic), then strolling down to the dive centre at 9:40 for some of the most spectacular shore diving you have ever done, then this is the place for you. If you are into dive Photography or videography and want the time to get that perfect shot or even just gently gliding over unspoilt coral gardens, then I have to recommend talking to Sarah and Daniel about booking your next trip.

Of course, having only been to Sharm and Nuweiba in Egypt, and only dived with 4 different dive centers there over the years, I know there are lots places out there we have yet to see and many dive centers to dive with, however so far, these 2 operators have been absolutely top notch. Finaly I have to suggest you guys look at the little paradise up in Nuweiba if you get the chance.

Anyway, don't take my word for it, go book your tickets and witness Egypt first hand as you have never seen it before, quiet, peaceful and certainly not crowded.

MatD

Thank you very much for the review Mat it was great to have you here and please give my regards to the missus :)

I think Mat could personally testify as to how much I'm enjoying the diving here at the moment - the reefs are just as not as busy as they can be, empty sometimes (Jackson reef today, just meeee and my boat!) :D and making a safety stop at 5m outside Thomas Reef I could see the 70m drop-off from the surface, the viz was so awesome.

Ras Mohamed tomorrow - gonna be cool! :D

C.

Last edited:
Please suggest dive centers for daily trips in Hurghada - those that still work. Have heard that Hurghada is a dead city and "nobody" is there. So, any good shop that is still open?

Another rumour - HEPCA says there were disturbing seismic surveys in the Red Sea. Is this over by now?

Hurghada is not dead... true it is not full as before (this from early March, I am heading there tomorrow and can give more details about the status next week) but most probably with Easter holidays things should be much better than March
lots of decent dive shops are open and working... when will you be there and where will you be staying?

I can Suggest you diving Ocean in Makadi Bay, you can find more information here Diving Ocean .
The manager has 15 years of experience in red sea...

Hurghada is far from dead...

disturbing seismic surveys? YES and really smegging annoying they are as well. A Saudi Arabian oil company - Aramco - is pounding the sea bed looking for natural gas. They are somewhere behind Sanafir island (just east of Tiran) and youcan hear the shockwave every 15 seconds. The intensity varies depending on the location of the dive, currents and thermoclines, but it can be unpleasant. I don't know if people are hearing it in Hurghada.

What passes for the Egyptian government at the moment has petitioned Saudi Arabia to stop. Yeah right - an oil rich country looking for more money? They will kill every fish in the Red Sea without giving two hoots about how it might be affecting the environment.

Cheers

C.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom