Spearfishing Lionfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I cannot understand why anybody would want to spear a Lionfish. They are so easy to approach, so that counts out any skill factor in killing them. Are they good eating, or is is just the satisfaction of killing something.

live and let live

ploppytheslopper
Think of lionfish as the cockroach of the Atlantic. The good news is they taste good, and there are plenty of people that love the reef and are willing to do their part to try and keep them from wiping out all the other species. I have to agree with Gordon though. You either know nothing about what's going on, or you're here to stir the pot.

Last edited:
Great video(lol somewhat)---where was it shot??

It was likely shot somewhere off the coast of Jupiter, FL. (though not 100% sure on that) The "shooter" in the vid is Randy Jordan, inventor of the "Lion Tamer". He lives in the Jupiter area and is an instructor at one of the dive shops there.

It was likely shot somewhere off the coast of Jupiter, FL. (though not 100% sure on that) The "shooter" in the vid is Randy Jordan, inventor of the "Lion Tamer". He lives in the Jupiter area and is an instructor at one of the dive shops there.
The vis was awefully clear for the area around Jupiter?

The vis was awefully clear for the area around Jupiter?

What can I say... sometimes ya get lucky :)
Randy has lots of videos of him using the LT in the waters off Jupiter. Most are at least this clear.
(though, as I said, the vid could have been made in the Keys somewhere)

BTW, certain times of the year, the clarity of the water here is 60ft or better :)

What can I say... sometimes ya get lucky :)
Randy has lots of videos of him using the LT in the waters off Jupiter. Most are at least this clear.
(though, as I said, the vid could have been made in the Keys somewhere)

BTW, certain times of the year, the clarity of the water here is 60ft or better :)
Can't complain about 60'! The best we ever get in the the few decent Missouri and Arkansas lakes that are worth diving is 25' on a great day.

Killed my first lion fish with my dive knife in West Palm during the Lobster mini season this year. .
My DM killed a lion fish on the Black Thorn about 2 weeks ago with her dive knife. First lion fish killed off Clearwater that I know of.. Two guest said they saw one on that site last October. Threw one of my pole spears in the boat in case we see any more... HOPE NOT!! But if I do they are going on the GRILL !!

we had 50 foot plus vis on Vet of Clearwater past two weeks... Think this storm might of killed that! NEED wind from the EAST to clean it back up.

As a dive guide, You would NOT be allowed on my boat with any device that was not designed for recreational diving, period. I worked Mexico's Yucatan pennisula,cruise ships,PADI dive shops,and general resort contract diving. The last thing I need on a dive boat is a group of clowns with sharp sticks. The liability and responsibility would be out of this world. Heck,most of the time I'm "babysitting" these once a year certs that know everything already except about safe diving procedures. Have fun diving and let Mother Nature do her magic.

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

I'm guessing that, were you diving in Cozumel, you would be diving inside the marine park. So we wouldn't be allowed with any such devices, unless you were taking us outside the park into the Villa Blanca area and north which doesn't fit your general description of your work experience. And I think it's highly unlikely that ANY Coz op would take divers out to those sites, armed, without having dived with them before and reasonably confident about their abilities to a) not get stung; b) not shoot anyone else and most importantly c) maintain proper buoyancy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom