When do you know you're ready?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mei_sheng

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello everyone,

I was planning on going for my DM certification this summer as a graduation present to myself. However, as I've been reading a lot on this forum, I've definitely come to realize that just having the required certifications and the minimum number dives does not mean that one is ready to enter into the training program or be an asset to the dive community!

So, I'm wondering how to "know" if you have enough experience to take the next step?

I consider myself a competent diver and I am very comfortable in the water while trying to avoid getting overconfident or cocky. But I don't want to be one of the DM I've read about in many places on this site that do not seem to be ready for that title. I'd love some input from those who have more experience and knowledge than I.

The fact you care makes me think you aren't going to be one of those zero to hero DMs. You might not be ready to be the best DM you can be but with the help of a good shop, you should be able to get through the DM program, get an understanding of your weaknesses and then work on improving yourself.

One good sign would be if the shop you are training with is willing to hire you on as a DM when you graduate. If you aren't ready, they let you know otherwise they'd have to employ a bad DM. :)

Thanks for your input, scubadiver888. The shop I work for wants me to work up to my Instructor certification over the next year, so I guess that means they have some faith in me? haha

My hesitation comes from the fact that I don't have very many logged dives, only about 30 something (I'd have to check my book to be sure, but alas it is in another state). The only things I do have to my advantage are that I've taught different sports before and although I don't have many dives, I've been diving in a lot of different situations. I've done night dives, low vis, fresh water, salt water, cold water (40*), quarry, wall, wreck, some depth (115') high seas, boat, liveaboard, shore and drift dives. I have one buddy I usually go with and very much enjoy going with, but I've also been diving with a lot of unknown buddies including young junior divers and I've dealt with a lot of different situations from lost buddies (young, inexperienced diver got herself wrapped up in fishing line on a night dive and couldn't get free and the visibility was so bad I couldn't find her light until I was back pretty much on top of her: not fun), to panicking divers, to a moronic diver during my check out dives who misunderstood the instructor's signal to practice OOA and share air with me and instead started to turn my air off from behind me. So at least I know I can deal with different/unexpected situations.

Even so, I feel like all new-ish divers probably think they've had a lot of experiences and are overconfident to deal with difficult situations so I'm glad to hear more objective opinions on non-number prerequisites. :)

If the shop you dive with asks you to train as a DM, then you are ready. Express a slight interest to them and if they react favorably to the idea, you're good to go. If they pause a bit, then you aren't.

So, I'm wondering how to "know" if you have enough experience to take the next step?

When you tell people about your ambitions and they say "it's about time". :)

But I don't want to be one of the DM I've read about in many places on this site that do not seem to be ready for that title.

I think this motivation plus a dose of self-reflection will pretty much ensure that you won't be. IN my experience most "boobs" regardless of vocation or activity are people who lack a capacity for critcal and honest self-reflection.

Obviously as a new DM you won't know everything and you'll need to get some experience to become as competent as you would like to be, but if you know that and you act accordingly then you'll be fine.

R..

Thanks for your input, scubadiver888. The shop I work for wants me to work up to my Instructor certification over the next year, so I guess that means they have some faith in me? haha
Not necessarily. The shop is a business and the course is a product. They probably don't care who they sell it to. Sorry to burst your bubble but the shop will keep pushing you as long as they see you as willing to buy what they have to sell. It's just business. Nothing personal.

In terms of your limited number of dives, I obviously have no idea what you look like in the water or what other "real world" skills/baggage you have in house but I haven't seen too many divers over the years that I thought would make good DM's without a couple of hundred dives. The simple fact is that you need enough experience first to have encountered and overcome some problems before you're put in a position to have to do it for others.

R..

Well, I like the fact that you've been out there and done dives in different environments and with different buddies. How are your own personal skills? Can you do all the basic things while hovering quietly in one place? Take a look at the 5thD-X videos on YouTube. I'm not going to ask you if you look like that, because almost nobody does except AG, but how far off are you?

I didn't go for DM until I felt that a) I could be a visual role model of the kind of diver I wanted our students to end up being, and b) I had been enough places and done enough things to be able to answer questions and offer good advice.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Diver0001: you have an excellent point that I definitely need to consider, it is a business for them. Although since I am staff, all I have to do is pay for materials/quarry fees etc, and everything else is seriously discounted so they wouldn't be making much money off of me, as it were.

TSandM: wow, that guy is pretty incredible. What great videos. I think my technique is probably okay, no arm swimming, and I'm pretty good at buoyancy control just using my breath, but I still need to improve. I struggled for a while in the beginning because I was always overweighted (I'm nearly 6' tall (female) so in the beginning they were trying to get me to dive in 12#+ with no wetsuit) but it turns out I actually sink like a rock and barely need any weight, so I'm still adjusting. Watching those videos makes me want to go out and practice right now. Unfortunately, there is still snow on the ground and ice on the lake.

I think I'm going to try to dive as much as I can this summer, and hold off on trying to get the DM certification until late summer at the earliest. TSandM your two points of "a) I could be a visual role model of the kind of diver I wanted our students to end up being, and b) I had been enough places and done enough things to be able to answer questions and offer good advice" are excellent and I want that too.

Thanks guys!

I like your attitude. That is an important quality in a DM. Some assurance yet humble enough to realize their limitations.

"If the shop you dive with asks you to train as a DM, then you are ready. Express a slight interest to them and if they react favorably to the idea, you're good to go. If they pause a bit, then you aren't."

As Diver0001 said this is perhaps the worst advice you could take. I have seen a number of divers locally and post on this and other message boards be told between their 2nd and 3rd OW checkout dives that they'd make a good DM. BULLSHIITE is all this is. If indeed they are that good then the shop should be willing to not charge them for the class and in fact subsidize their training with freebies, help with gas to the site, and even help with their books. I'd say that any shop that talks to OW divers about becoming a DM before they finish OW, AOW, and Rescue and is not willing to do what I just said is one to be leery of.

I have a couple who is doing more training with me this summer after doing their OW last year. I have a hunch that if their enthusiasm level stays where it is now and they keep diving the way the have and plan to that they would be fine DM's some day but no way am I going to tell them that until they have the required prerequisites and enough dives. I want their goal to be the best diver they can be at the level they are and then do the same for each subsequent one before moving on to a possible pro level. We are starting with UW Nav, then AOW, followed by rescue between April and July. They need to get a min of 10 dives in between each class outside to move on with me. They have 11 now post OW cert by the time we actually begin UW Nav they will have 14. The 6 in that class followed by 4 or 5 more. They'll start AOW with 25-30 dives, Rescue with around 40. Then I want them to just dive and decide if they want to do more. I won't bring up DM until after that.

I probably should have been more clear. My post was assuming it was a quality shop, not one focused on mass production. My shop won't take on a DMC until they feel that the person is competent enough to represent them among other shops and charters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom