Wow, rough weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gombessa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
When we arrived at Lobos, the ranger told us, "A bunch of people came and decided not to dive. Why don't you head down and check it out before you pay for parking?" Uh...wow.

When we got to the parking lot, we saw a lot of swell and choppy waters, but nothing really all that bad. We did find an erik in the lot and took it along with us. Turned out to be a very nice, if somewhat surgy dive. 5-15 ft viz inside the cove, 20-25ft outside.

[youtubehq]4kvihHF3-e8[/youtubehq]

Looks like things were pretty rough on Sunday too, but a couple of friends were at Lobos and after making the call to dive, they had a good time too. It looks like midweek will be pretty crazy though :O Now I know where all the winter storms we were supposed to have were waiting!

Did you guys see two fat seals? they were playing with us , right before your entry. we only got to 20ft @ 75ft deep. BW was terrible as well, albeit bit less surgy. today on a bay we were on Silver Prince it is like diving into mud. 10ft viz @ 80 ft hopkins deep. but all of our AOW students went in :) and did it.

Did you guys see two fat seals? they were playing with us , right before your entry. we only got to 20ft @ 75ft deep. BW was terrible as well, albeit bit less surgy. today on a bay we were on Silver Prince it is like diving into mud. 10ft viz @ 80 ft hopkins deep. but all of our AOW students went in :) and did it.

There were a few bobbing on the surface, and a small juvenile was chasing us all around middle reef as we were coming back in (he shows up at the end of the video). August saw a sea lion too, but I always miss their flybys.

Glad you had fun! Looks pretty wild!

On Sat dove singles and had a very relaxing kick through the surge/low vis at BW then called the second dive.
Picked up the mtn bike instead of scuba on Sun.

I must be getting soft ;-).

On Sat dove singles and had a very relaxing kick through the surge/low vis at BW then called the second dive.

Nah, sitting on the couch, maybe. :wink:

Dan B and I were at Lobos yesterday, there was one team that didn't even make it out of the cove due to the poor viz, had trouble getting up the ramp it seemed, too, but I have this new drysuit I am trying to get accustomed to, so really wanted to go out there and get some more experience.
It was a pretty good dive, yes, it was surgy, but was not that bad. Viz maybe 15-20 ft, and I am getting much better in the drysuit. Afterwards we drove over to China Beach and saw a half dozen harbor seals, one of which had just pupped a day or two ago. So freakin' cute! There were a couple other obviously pregnant ones there and a few yearlings out. China Beach is lovely, they are doing work to the trails, but if you're at Lobos and have never been, go take a look! You won't be sorry.

I think you met my buddies there on Sunday? They're getting back on the scuba horse after a bit of a hiatus. If I had reservations for Sunday after diving Saturday, I may have opted for something else too (seeing as Sunday looked even rougher than Sat).

Dan B and I were at Lobos yesterday, there was one team that didn't even make it out of the cove due to the poor viz, had trouble getting up the ramp it seemed, too, but I have this new drysuit I am trying to get accustomed to, so really wanted to go out there and get some more experience.

Awesome, how do you like the suit so far? I think we saw Don teaching a drysuit class on Saturday too. Must have been fun in that weekend's surge!

The ramp is by far the scariest thing at Lobos. There's very little you can't judiciously avoid once you're in the water, but you have to get out eventually.

I think you met my buddies there on Sunday? They're getting back on the scuba horse after a bit of a hiatus. .

It was fun to see Andrew again. Back in 2009 we all dove together, on my first dive with you :).

There were two groups on people there on Sunday who might be your "buddies" If they were in the first group of divers, they didn't have very much fun. If they were in the second group, they might have done OK. There was also a British couple there that did OK, they did 2 dives. (We only did 1).
I am liking the new suit. The wrist seals are way too tight and I have to buy a drysuit hood. I am working on getting dry gloves put into it soon, they are on order. I am almost not dangerous. :) Give me another couple weekends and I think I'll be through the learning curve.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom