Wow, rough weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know Oren. I think this is the first thing I'll do right the first time. Just have to actually make it there :)

It was fun to see Andrew again. Back in 2009 we all dove together, on my first dive with you :).

Huh, I totally forgot! I think that may have been the last time Andrew has dived until yesterday, in fact. :)

There were two groups on people there on Sunday who might be your "buddies" If they were in the first group of divers, they didn't have very much fun. If they were in the second group, they might have done OK.

Haha, well they told me that had a pretty good time and were glad they went out (though they only did one dive). But I've been known to come out of the water looking unhappy too, if only because I'm exhausted :) They also mentioned there was an incident with a diver being lost in the water (but making it back OK) that day??

Glad you had fun! Looks pretty wild!

On Sat dove singles and had a very relaxing kick through the surge/low vis at BW then called the second dive.
Picked up the mtn bike instead of scuba on Sun.

I must be getting soft ;-).

Nope, not getting soft at all. Had the weekend planned out already but condition reports certainly didn't entice me to drive to Monterey/Carmel. Picked up the bike and rode as well. Amazing scenery near Calaveras Reservoir. Keep riding, get more fitness, use less weight, stay down below longer. Why does theory never really pan out in actual practice? Conditions had better improve, there's too much dust on my scuba gear.

C.

OK then those weren't the guys that were doing the monastery crawl off the boat ramp in the morning, those guys didn't look too happy. We did see a fire truck coming into lobos with its lights on as we were leaving, we just pulled over and got out of the way, they may have been responding to a lost diver. There was only one or two teams still diving after we left.

Ken, Your Videos are awesome, your choice of Music to go with the video is outstanding, Thanks for sharing with all of us, I really enjoy your work!!!

Thanks a lot Jim!! That really means a lot to me and I'm glad people enjoy watching them.

Also, I'm sure Erik wouldn't mind me posting this here--I just noticed that he uploaded his video from our dive too:

[vimeo]21955989[/vimeo]

Wow. Shows what you can do with a good camera, video lights, and a real eye for composition.

Huh, I totally forgot! I think that may have been the last time Andrew has dived until yesterday, in fact. :)

I've heard newborns have the tendancy to keep divers out of the water for a while :). Both came out on their feet, smiling. We chatted for quite some time, nice guys - I hope they join us for some more diving.

We did see a fire truck coming into lobos with its lights on as we were leaving, we just pulled over and got out of the way, they may have been responding to a lost diver. There was only one or two teams still diving after we left.

There were a couple of divers stranded (don't know the details), but they managed to work it out on their own. We stuck around till the boat returned with the rescue crew and all divers safely exited the water.

Last edited:
[vimeo]21955989[/vimeo]
Wow. Shows what you can do with a good camera, video lights, and a real eye for composition.

thanks Gombessa and Erik for the videos, i know how time-consuming it is to edit a nice video :wink:
Have nice dives
Myka

You had better viz than we did on Saturday. We have maybe 2 feet of viz in the cove, opening up to 10-20' at around 45-50'. At least I got to see some seal pups on the surface!

When we arrived at Lobos, the ranger told us, "A bunch of people came and decided not to dive. Why don't you head down and check it out before you pay for parking?" Uh...wow.

When we got to the parking lot, we saw a lot of swell and choppy waters, but nothing really all that bad. We did find an erik in the lot and took it along with us. Turned out to be a very nice, if somewhat surgy dive. 5-15 ft viz inside the cove, 20-25ft outside.

[youtubehq]4kvihHF3-e8[/youtubehq]

Looks like things were pretty rough on Sunday too, but a couple of friends were at Lobos and after making the call to dive, they had a good time too. It looks like midweek will be pretty crazy though :O Now I know where all the winter storms we were supposed to have were waiting!

When we arrived at Lobos, the ranger told us, "A bunch of people came and decided not to dive. Why don't you head down and check it out before you pay for parking?" Uh...wow.

When we got to the parking lot, we saw a lot of swell and choppy waters, but nothing really all that bad. We did find an erik in the lot and took it along with us. Turned out to be a very nice, if somewhat surgy dive. 5-15 ft viz inside the cove, 20-25ft outside.
This is amazing, but typical of life in Monterey. I took a group out to the north side of Seamount on Friday, and we had a gorgeous 50'-60' of visibility. We had barely started back from Seamount when they all spotted the Lone Metridium. Then you were there just the next morning...

I did a class at BW on Saturday and Sunday, and by Sunday the visibility was at most 2' in shallow and 5' once you got deeper. What a change from the dive I did Friday at Lobos!

Bruce

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom