Need Boat Advice for Naples FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don, I have friends with a 23' robalo center console. Three on board with gear was
comfortable, four on board with gear was crowded but do-able. For six with some divers
I'm guessing maybe something in the 26'-28' range. My dream boat would be something
similar to the old sea tow boats with a pilothouse to get out of the bad weather and also
plenty of open deck behind the pilothouse for fishing or diving. Probably not the best to
cover longer distances but I think I could have a good time on the east coast near shore
with this set up, maybe someday !

Don, I have friends with a 23' robalo center console. Three on board with gear was
comfortable, four on board with gear was crowded but do-able. For six with some divers
I'm guessing maybe something in the 26'-28' range. My dream boat would be something
similar to the old sea tow boats with a pilothouse to get out of the bad weather and also
plenty of open deck behind the pilothouse for fishing or diving. Probably not the best to
cover longer distances but I think I could have a good time on the east coast near shore
with this set up, maybe someday !

Look for an old 24' Morgan with a small cabin on the bow. There used to be a lot around southwest Florida.

Look for an old 24' Morgan with a small cabin on the bow. There used to be a lot around southwest Florida.

Yeah, I do see some of these running around down here and everytime I do I
think " that should be me " ! A little more running over here in the lower gulf to
get into deep water but even with higher fuel prices this would still be great on the
east coast where one to two miles out will get you out to some nice depths.

Anybody out there got experience with the Pro Cat 26 ? I have a most sweet deal on one. Would need to configure it for diving of course.

I have a 23' center console that I run out of Ft Myers with. Deep V, single 200hp outboard. Four divers is my max, plus a captain. I've taken it up to 15 miles offshore, and wouldn't hesitate to go 30, if everyone was chipping in for gas and the weather was good! If you're going out 30 miles, you need some speed. Nobody has time to go 15mph every dive trip. Mine has a top speed of 36 kts, but usually cruise around 30kts.

But these comments are true-- and a 25-27' cat would be even better! I just needed something I could trailer easily, and could get for less than $15k used!

Here's mine
ASonthewater-2.jpg

Don the web site I put on here previously did not display correctly.
You owe it to your self to at lease consider one of these before buying a lesser boat.
There are bigger differences in ride quality and quirkyness with cat hulls than with monohulls.
I have owned more than a few offshore dive boats in the last 20 years, including 2 USCG Inspected multi passenger dive boats and when I retired from the dive charter business and bought a personal boat to spearfish offshore with I bought a 27' Ameracat. I looked at, rode on and dove on about everything on the market.
There are some video's to watch on the web site ameracat.com
These boats are a bargain for what you get for the money they cost.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom