Townsville

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ColinCB

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'll be studying abroad next semester and I really want to dive!

Anybody have any recommendations for shops or trips in the local area?

Thanks!

Adrenaline Dive are the only opeartor out of Toiwnsville as far as I know. There is Remote Area Diving (RAN) but think they are a school rather thn offereing boat trips.

Yongala is definately best dive out of Townsville and if you dont want the long boat trip look at going hour south to Ayr and using Yongala Dive out of there

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cairns Discount Dive And Snorkel Trips. Live Aboard And Day Trips To The Great Barrier Reef

Interesting. It seems that the dive club at the university I will be studying at has their OWN boat!

James Cook University (I assume this is where you are studying) is actually a PADI training center. They offer a full range of training courses as well as dive trips out to the Yongala and other places. You might get a discount for being a current student. You won't have any shortage of dive buddies either.

I studied abroad at the University of Queensland for a year and loved it. We had a dive club and our own boat as well, and we would go diving all over the place. It was also super cheap, all the divers just had to cover the cost of fuel.

Here is the website for the James Cook University Dive club: Home

Oh also I'm not sure what your certification level but if you are a rescue diver or higher you can sign up to help with research dives. There might be some other prerequisites too. I did this when I was at UQ and I got to spend 2 weeks on Heron Island Great barrier reef Marine Research Station diving everyday all the time, FOR FREE!! It was a great experience, you should definitely look into it. JCU has some research locations on Lizard island and a few other places if I remember correctly. Or atleast look into taking a marine bio class while there. I did a marine bio class and was able to go on some really fun trips to Moreton Bay research station as well as Heron Island, except I had to pay for those trips, they were still really cheap though.

Unfortunately I am not a rescue diver, only OW, soon to be AOW. Because of this, I cannot do that research team.

It seems the trips are relatively expensive! $400 for a 3 day live abroad. Maybe they do smaller trips which are cheaper!

Well you got plenty of time to get your rescue before then, you probably don't leave until the first week of July right?

$400 for a 3 day live aboard isn't too expensive but its not an amazing price. Also remember that's Australian dollars not US dollars (not like there's a huge difference right now). Also everything is expensive in Australia, so get use to it. Get ready to pay $50 for a case a beer

Well you got plenty of time to get your rescue before then, you probably don't leave until the first week of July right?

$400 for a 3 day live aboard isn't too expensive but its not an amazing price. Also remember that's Australian dollars not US dollars (not like there's a huge difference right now). Also everything is expensive in Australia, so get use to it. Get ready to pay $50 for a case a beer

Oh man, you scaring me! Yes, I'll be leaving the first week in July.

I just realized that the trip from townsville to the yongala is pretty long. So there's probably a lot of fuel charges. Either way I'll be diving it!

$440 for 6 dives including one night dive, 3 days on the boat, all meals, and a cabin.

I'm currently in Townsville studying abroad at JCU. (Actually sitting in class right now)
There are two operators that I have found: Adrenalin and SALT.
I took my advanced course through SALT a couple weekends ago. A great shop and I enjoyed it immensely. Their boat is smaller but it's damn fast.
You're coming at the right time as far as diving is concerned as the winter has clearer waters.
It took me a while to get out to dive because of so much rain and poor vis.
The other options for diving in the immediate area is diving off of Magnetic Island. PleasureDivers is where I've rented tanks and weights. Several of my friends took their OW course through them.
My recommendation is to do everything you need to get on the dive register. I wish I met the requirements as someone stated above: there are a lot of positives.
The JCU Dive Club does run their own trips but they're more expensive than the other operators but it can be a great way to meet people.
I've got a liveaboard out of Cairns planned and I'm going on a liveaboard next weekend out of Airlie Beach to the Whitsundays. There was a special for unlimited diving so I couldn't pass it up.
There are a ton of places to dive but it will cost you. The best place for affordable diving is Magnetic Island.
Just remember diving here is a million times better than a barren cold lake dive that I'm used to in Michigan. (Says you're from New England so you may be used to better diving) but dive wherever and whenever you can here.

General information for Australia/Townsville:
Best price I've found for beer is $36-$40 for 24. Liquor is even more expensive. Boxed wine (goon) is the best bang for the $ but makes you forget at least one section of the night.
Buy from duty free before arriving.
Almost all items are twice as expensive.
Make friends with someone that has a car.
I'm sure there is more but you'll figure it out. I'll answer any other questions you have.
You'll have a blast. I'm lovin' it and the two months I've been here feels like 2 weeks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom