Lionfish spotted @ Sonnier Banks off La coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver 85

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
last week......good friend of mine 'got' 3 last week while there...........hmmm, bet we see some now @ the FG this summer....

Dis-like :shakehead:

Yup, it's just about inevitable, but I sure do hate it. If there was ever a place to document the EXACT effects of lionfish encroachment, it will be the FG. We have decades of solid data and census figures to which we can compare, and we'll see in minute detail what happens to the populations of species there.

I dread what we might learn.

On the positive side, it's "policy" to remove any and all lionfish found on the FG. "Good hunting" to any who find them!

On the positive side, it's "policy" to remove any and all lionfish found on the FG. "Good hunting" to any who find them!

But isn't it illegal to have any spearfishing equipment in the sancuary?

Randy

We just got back from a Caribbean cruise. We dove Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize and Cozumel. There were lionfish on most dives. I was suprised by how many there were compared to zero the last time I was in Coz three years ago.

The DM in Cozumel were spearing them with a small sling type spear that has just enough power to catch the fish without collateral damage. Maybe that's what they're using at the FG. Whatever they use, I wish them lots of luck.

I need to clarify...sorry for the confusion. The person that told me they would be "collecting" any lionfish they found on the FG is a staff member at the FGBNMS. They have the blessings of "management" to do so. Some of those folks frequent scubaboard, and it was to them that I was wishing "happy hunting".

By all means, know and follow all laws and regulations concerning the FG, no matter how tempting it would be to whack the little invaders!

Yes, before anyone gets excited about spearfishing lionfish in the Flower Gardens, it will be by permit only, and likely limited to staff. At least until FGB is overrun. FKNMS has far more data collected regarding habitat and fish distribution, based only on the sheer numbers of researchers here, and the invasion is very well documented here.

Yup, Frank. The Florida Keys NMS has a fantastic data base and the sheer number of observations makes it ideal for study as well. What I had in mind when I mentioned the FG data is that we'll very likely know an almost precise date for the arrival of the lionfish there, especially since the area is far more limited than the Keys. That can contribute greatly to establishing the effects of their predation rate, population growth, and spread.

What we're learning in the Keys is providing a really steep learning curve concerning lionfish, isn't it?

Yup, Frank. The Florida Keys NMS has a fantastic data base and the sheer number of observations makes it ideal for study as well. What I had in mind when I mentioned the FG data is that we'll very likely know an almost precise date for the arrival of the lionfish there, especially since the area is far more limited than the Keys. That can contribute greatly to establishing the effects of their predation rate, population growth, and spread.

What we're learning in the Keys is providing a really steep learning curve concerning lionfish, isn't it?

...guess I'm missing the point in further 'studying' the lionfish problem ?

fact: lionfish are an alien invader species

fact: lionfish kill/eat everything in sight

fact: lionfish reproduce prolifically

fact: lionfish have no real predator enemies (and man has hunted to virtual extinction what few enemies (i.e. giant grouper) lionfish might have.

fact: lionfish happily shelter at depths far beyond the reach of recreational scuba 'hunters'.

strong suspicion: lionfish ain't stupid! In Cozumel last August I was impressed with the alertness lionfish demonstrated, they were quick to hide out of reach when I approached them.

Question: Where do I sign up for a well-paid, yet useless, govt job where all I do is get paid to scuba all day and 'document' how fast lionfish can kill off a reef ecosystem, as everything else seems bleeding obvious already ?

Will grant MOST of the "facts"
Well except, provisionally, the no-known lionfish predators thing. The jury's still out on that one. Researchers/divers are working on it, though...see another SB thread in which sharks are being "taught" to hunt lionfish (reference NatGeo.com). The introduction of lionfish is such a new phenomenon, natural predator species may have simply not adapted to their presence, yet. That could change, and it would definitely be a good thing! But that's at least one reason that more study might be needed.

Another is to fully understand what's truly going on, and that is NOT known. For example, one thing we might learn is the nature of the factors that contribute to the incredible speed with which lionfish are spreading. One hypothesis is that overfishing of predator species (grouper, etc...) is allowing the lionfish to move into nearly vacant biological niches. IF that is the case, it tells us a great deal about how we have and are affecting the ocean's ecosystems, and potentially what we need to do to contribute to a solution.

As for the question about where to sign up for one of those "useless" govt jobs...I have no idea. The folks I know who work for the NMS and NOAA are incredibly hard-working, dedicated folks who do a great deal contributing to a greater understanding and appreciation for our oceans. I owe them a lot!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom