Watson Murder Case - Issues, Statements & Sources

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I heard on the local news this morning that Watson's trial has been put off indefinitely due to budget cuts in the Judicial system.

Gabe Watson murder trial delayed Peter Mitchell
April 8, 2011 - 8:14AM

An Alabama judge has announced Gabe Watson's murder trial will not go ahead in May because savage budget cuts to the state's court system have raised security concerns.

Alabama courthouses are suffering from forced layoffs of court staff, including security personnel, following $US120 million ($A115.17 million) being stripped from the budget.

Judge Tommy Nail surprised prosecutors and Watson's legal team on Thursday when he announced the May 23 trial in Birmingham, Alabama, would be pushed back to August or later in the year because there would not be enough security personnel to man his courtroom.

Judge Nail said if he went ahead with Watson's trial he would have to shut every other courtroom in the Jefferson County complex because of cuts to the number of bailiffs in the complex.

"We never asked for it to be put off, but we understand it," prosecutor Don Valeska told AAP.

"The judge didn't do it for any other reason other than concerns for safety.

"They have to lay off 53 people by May 1 from the courthouse."

Gabe Watson murder trial delayed

A poster made the comment that you can breathe through a regulator without a mouthpiece and my statement that Watson is grasping at straws was biased and this is supposed to be an unbiased thread.

Wow...maybe we need to review this information! I know a lot of hard work and digging went into this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom