Runaway BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like a cork

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had a similiar event early in March, due to my own stupidity. I religously have my reg checked before my yearly month vacation in Mexico, but, this year I didn't check my BCD(DUMB) on my first dive I was a bit overweighted and added a little air to my BC and then took off for the surface, I flared, I dumped air but still kept going, only when I popped up on the surface did I remember to release my LP hose! On checking my inflator I noticed the little spring valve was corrided bad enough that it busted allowing the air to run. Good lesson learned a dive lost and an embarassing boat ride back to shore when the other 8 divers finished. NEVER AGAIN will I not check my BCD.
Share this post on Digg
Del.icio.us
Technorati
Add to your Facebook!
Twitter

I always considered inflating my BC and checking the dumps (shoulder, butt and inflator) prior to entering the water. I test the "popoff" of the dumps prior to getting in the water on the 1st dive of every day. I inflate it orally until it is full then put puffs in from the inflator to make sure it is not sticking. I thought that was part of the gear check. If using unfamiliar gear, check to see how it comes apart. The Airsource 3 has a valve to shut air off to the BC, it is not a quick connect like most of the inflators I have seen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom