Weights & weight belt question - Newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not surprised that the instructor requires you to own weight/belt..some places do,so do not.At the LDS I am at now does not require it,we use facility weight and all class bcd's are wreight integrated..For those that require it, the students no longer ask "how much weigh do I need?' as once the amount is established correctly and on the belt the problem is eliminated.
With todays gear weight belts are almost eliminated.Weight integrated bcds are very common and for warm water divers a belt is actually becoming less and less common.Many divers that use alot of lead sometimes break it up between weight integrated bcd pockets and a belt.Less wear/tear on bcd that way. Op says he weighs 215 lbs.I would start him with 12lbs in a 3mm suit and adjust from there(2 4lbs weights and 2 2lb weights).If he shows up to class with 12lbs and discovers he needs more weight ,a prepared instructor should have a few lbs to loan him during that particular class session.

Thanks for the input so far. ALL 7 of the LDS's in my area require you to have weight belt/weights for their OW classes so there was no other option for me. As for the diving locations, my checkout dives will be in the springs but hopefully I'll be doing salt water diving as well. Kenny - sorry to hear about your weight theft. Where were you diving so that I'll know to keep an extra sharp eye on my gear?

Morrison Spring. Pretty good place for newer divers to get some practice, but I would definitely be careful about leaving gear around unattended. Lesson learned.

10% is 21.5 lbs at around $4 a lb for shot weights? Even at that's 65 bucks. Cut it in half or so. Here students do not buy weights for classes. They use weights supplied by the shop or for checkouts will rent them. Where do they expect you to buy these? I;d start checking ebay, craigslist, etc. I do understand soft weights for certain pools. Not unreasonable.

I understand the LDS requiring you to buy your own weight, a couple in my area does, but I am surprised at the amount. Personally, they should require 5-8% then go from there. See if the LDS will go for that.

I am surprized at them requiring soft weights. They are not well suited for pool use as they clog up the filters when the shot works it way out of the bags. A LDS here actually forbids them in their pool, they require solid coated weights - no loose shot and the coating helps protect the pool bottom.
That aside, I have never heard of a shop requiring you buy weights and even if they do, 10% is way too much unless you are diving a thick 5mm+ wet suit. 1-2% is a more accutate number for 3mm and less.

Go ahead and buy what they recommend (from a place that will allows returns). Figure out your weight requirements at the pool in a swim suit, skin, 3mm, and 7mm. Write these numbers down. Return any weight you don't need. Problem solved.

You may want to look at a harness similar to the DUI Weight and Trim, I have used one and find that supporting the weight on your shoulders is much easier and you are not having to keep the belt tight on your waist. I used to almost have a belt fall off if I did not re-tighten it at depth.

I am surprized at them requiring soft weights. They are not well suited for pool use as they clog up the filters when the shot works it way out of the bags. A LDS here actually forbids them in their pool, they require solid coated weights - no loose shot and the coating helps protect the pool bottom.

I've heard the requirement for soft weights before for exactly the same reason as you mention: They don't mark up the pool bottom or deck. Maybe the pool operators don't find clogging by lead powder an issue, or would public pools already have enough other crud in them that it's not an extra concern?

Three comments:

1. While many of us can agree that it is relatively uncommon for a shop / instructor to require OW students to buy weights and belt before starting, it is not unheard of. In the OP's case, it is what it is and we probably don't contribute to a solution to his specific questions by saying, 'Never heard of that' or 'Find another LDS', although those were exactly my immediate sentiments as well. Also, while I am intrigued by the specification for soft weights (Herman and I dive the same pool in Raleigh) that 'is what it is' as well.
geogator:
My instructor also said that I should purchase 10% of my total body weight (215) in weights which would equal 21-22 lbs. . . .Is this amount correct?
2. While 10% of BW is probably more than the OP will ultimately need, possibly even by by the end of confined water, with a 3mm wetsuit, it is also a not uncommon starting point for weighting of OW students (I am not saying whether I agree with that practice, nor do I want to debate it, only that it is not uncommon). So, let's assume that the purchase of 22 lb of (soft) weights is what he needs to do at this point. I would look at it as a reasonable, one time investment in a variety of weights. I own, and am comfortable that many of us probably do as well, a lot more total weight than that, in a variety of forms (soft and hard, coated, and uincoated). I use different amounts and forms according to what rig and where I am diving, and am glad that I have the inventory to choose from. Particularly if the OP will be diving in salt water, or in a thicker (than 3mm) wetsuit for checkouts or in the immediate future, having a total of 22lbs isn't a bad thing at all. (Now, I would love to suggest that 6 lbs of that weight could be accounted for by a nice SS BP, but that would open yet another Pandora's Box of debate, and I am not going there, either. :))
geogator:
it better to buy a bunch of smaller weights (say 2lbs each) or a few larger ones (say 3-4 lbs) mixed in with some smaller 2lb weights?
3. If I were going to buy 22lbs of soft weight, I would buy 2 x 4lb, 2 x 3lb, and 4 x 2lb. Taking it a step further, if it were me, I would also buy 2 x 1lb (for a total of 24lb). That way I could adjust / fine tune my weighting.

I am not sure I would invest in a DUI Weight and Trim harness at this point, although I might seriously consider the purchase of a couple of XS Scuba Weight Pockets, to put on my waist strap or tank cam band, to accomodate some of the soft weights.

Last edited:
A lot of good advice and opinions. Being new, you are working in the unknown, thus your post on SB. My $0.02, heed the advice/direction of your instructor. You don't want to start the class ill-prepared, based on what your instructor is expecting from the students. If $65.00 in weight is a deal breaker for you, you may want to consider another activity. SCUBA is expensive, even on a good day.
After the class is over, you will know what your weight requirement is. You will learn to relax, which will reduce your weight requirement over time. Have fun, don't sweat the small stuff. At least he didn't require you to have a $1,800.00 computer. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom