The dumbest post in SB history

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Porkfried

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Who'd win a fight, a great white or a hippo? I just watched a documentary on hippos which prompted a debate that I need you guys to resolve.

The terms:
1. They are fighting in ten foot deep ocean, a comfortable depth for both of them.
2. Hippos can hold their breath for about five minutes, but the shark is chivalrous. If the hippo needs to go get a gulp of air, the shark will respect its need and let it go for air unharmed.
3. It's a one on one fight.
4. The shark and hippo are both the most formidable individuals of their kind, they are in their physical prime, and are in no way impaired.

I tried to post this on a hippo forum too but I couldn't find one.

I know a bull shark lost this fight on animal face-off, but a great white has four times the bite force and should be more formidable.

Porkfried:
I know a bull shark lost this fight on animal face-off

They actually put them together? Where are the details?

They actually put them together? Where are the details?

The bull shark couldnt pierce the hippos skin, which i'm not sure i buy as what would actually happen, and then the shark swam directly into the hippos mouth, which I also dont think would happen. The hippo won.

In the great white vs croc fight the croc ripped off a great whites fin but then the great white still bit it in half for the win.

But I'm wondering about a great white vs a hippo. It's unfair to make a bull shark weighing in at less than 800 pounds fight a hippo, but a 3 ton great white might have a shot.

Isn't this more then a contrived situation? Why would a hippo even fool around with a great white shark? Hippos are grazers. They just lie around in rivers during the day to keep cool. Last I heard, great whites neither graze nor fool around in rivers.

Also, a great white is a predator. The preferred method of attack is to hit a seal or sea elephant which is on the surface with a high speed attack, bite and leave. The shark waits for the wounded animal to bleed out and then eats it. It is a low risk approach.

In deep water, hippos tend to run on the bottom. That is not the surface. Also 10' is pretty shallow for a great white to fool with. I rather doubt that a great white has any particular interest in messing with an enraged bull hippo. It looks high risk to me.

It is an encounter that has almost no chance of happening. The hippo has no reason to be there and the shark is looking for easier prey.

It's just hypothetical, Pat.. (or in this case, hippothetical). Always fun to ponder the impossible...

This is by far not the dumbest post on SB.

There are a lot of dumb posts on SB.

What does that mean in English?

Computer generated match. Like Stallone and what's-his-name in the last Rocky movie...

It allows the computer to render probable outcomes...

Back
Top Bottom