Tell me about the Comal river

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TexasKaren68

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm taking my OW certification classes and next weekend will be heading to the Comal River for my four open water dives.

I'm a bit nervous about having to do skills in a river, with the current.

The current in the deeper/wider parts of the river (8-12' or so) isn't bad at all. I'd rather suspect that you'll be in these areas while doing skills. The areas with faster current are a blast when just fun diving, all you have to do is relax and ride the river.

Good luck on your cert dives, you'll have a great time!

I will be out there on 3-6 2011, Sunday. We should arrive from Laredo at about 11:30 a.m.
Have fun and enjoy. It is easy diving at the clear river.

Rene

A friend of mine did his open water dives in the Comal. There are a couple of spots just deep enough to pass muster. Right now the flow is around 310cfs, not bad, and enough that the silt you will kick up will be gone in a few minutes.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/tx/nwis/uv?site_no=08169000

I love diving the Comal, its a nice easy dive and the drunker the tubers are the more treasures you will find. Be prepared to be called Scuba Steve about every 30 seconds. If you go in the morning before the tubers get there you can get a parking spot right off the water and the viability is usually better because there's no one swimming there kicking up the silt. I am sure you will have a blast.

Where's a good place to start diving on the Comal? Do you need a shuttle vehicle since its a drift dive?

We would normally dive from Landa Park down to the tube chute, get out at that park, have one of our cars waiting, and drive back. Gave us a good hour of dive time if we didn't stop to play around.

Nice dive! One tank will last several dives and if you don't want to shuttle in vehicles, you can walk from exit to entry points in just a couple of minutes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom