Maximum depth PADI and NAUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought that at least with regard to PADI, the only time maximum depths are explicitly stated are during training dives.

The are mandatory max depths stated within the standards for training courses. Those are for the purposes of the instructors running the courses.

However, the OW, AOW and Deep Diver courses also have recommended max depths for the divers. These are clearly spelt out within the course materials. They are also repeatedly mentioned within the OW course, including the knowledge reviews and exam.

In addition, PADI are quite definitive about 40m being the absolute max depth for recreational scuba diving.

Hi Hanalie -

The professional certifications don't have depth limits as such, beyond what is practical and safe, and a small point about depth limits for 10 - 11 year old divers after certification.

A PADI DM is not required to have the Deep specialty training in order to lead deep dives but a pre-requsite for DM certifation is "experience in ... deep diving". Technically the deep dive of the AOW course "counts" as deep diving experience but I think a few more dives are required to count as experience in deep diving.

There are some assumptions being made in there but there are very few agency rules when it comes to guiding. There are PADI instructors, yes, but there are no PADI dive guides....

Hope that helps to explain

C.

Is there anyone who can tell me if a PADI divemaster without a deep diving speciality, who is obviously limited to 30 meters maximum depth, is allowed to lead a dive with NAUI advanced divers to 40 meters which is their maximum depth? This is now taking into account that the DM does an inwater supervision dive with the divers.

First off a PADI DM is not limited to 30 meters, the recreational dive limit is 40 meters or 130 feet. Training dives for those 15 years and older can go to 30 meters/100 feet. But since this is not a training dive, recreational limits apply.

I seriously doubt any dive operation would allow a DM to guide a deep dive without the proper experience. If you have any aprehension, ask how many deep dives they have led, or ask if your DM is experienced at the time of booking.

Be sure to go over a dive plan with your buddy and review additional safety protocal, such as not using all your NDL time before ascending, checking your guages a little more frequently, etc.

Rememer as a certified diver you are responsible for your own safety.

good diving to you

brian

Last edited:
Is there anyone who can tell me if a PADI divemaster without a deep diving speciality, who is obviously limited to 30 meters maximum depth, is allowed to lead a dive with NAUI advanced divers to 40 meters which is their maximum depth? This is now taking into account that the DM does an inwater supervision dive with the divers.

Um, depends on when he certified, PADI standards have changed considerably in the last 30 years. As have their tables .

Yes I believe the book states 40M, i just did a quick rounding and divided 130 feet by 3 feet to get 43 meters. my bad, edited my original post
Brian

That's all true, but before readers start to think it is relevant to the DM in question, you may also have noted that the DM may well have had the requisite experience. Nothing in the original post says that he didn't.

Indeed.

And, of course, any assumption that a (PADI) Deep Diver specialty course actually prepares you to dive to 40m is of course open to analysis..... :wink:

Under PADI Procedures and Standards and as a Divemaster your limitations are upto 30m. Apart from that the limitation of the Divers is 30m too. Exceeding the 30m depth will void your insurance and in the event of an incident your DM certification and status. Not a wise choice.

Have fun diving!!!!

Under PADI Procedures and Standards and as a Divemaster your limitations are upto 30m.
Exactly what are you refering to?? There are no Standards and Procedures governing the supervision of qualified divers outside of formal training courses. The only formal limitations of depth for PADI professionals are linked with specific training courses only.
Apart from that the limitation of the Divers is 30m too.
Here are the depth limitations, as recommended to recreational divers by PADI.
Exceeding the 30m depth will void your insurance and in the event of an incident your DM certification and status. Not a wise choice.
That depends on (1) your insurance and (2) any qualifications that you have which may extend your depth beyond AOW level.
Um, depends on when he certified, PADI standards have changed considerably in the last 30 years. As have their tables .
Not really. PADI professionals are expected to keep track of changes within standards and procedures, applying them where applicable.
Technically the deep dive of the AOW course counts as deep diving experience but I think a few more dives are required to count as experience in deep diving.
Yep...agree 100%. There's an enormous gulf of difference between 'having an experience' and 'being experienced'. PADI seem to consider that a single experience is sufficient to ensure future confidence, competance and consistency in a diving activity.... with no specific guidance given on dive leader experience, beyond the bare-bones of appropriate recreational diver training courses. Having a dive leadership role should require 'being experienced' in the type of diving that is being supervised.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom