Recent Lake Pleasant conditions/reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dove Beismeyer Point / Sunset Cove on Saturday and Sunday.
Cold air temps made water feel warm. 58 Oceanic Degrees.

Vis on Saturday was good. 30 feet in the shallows. A little less at depth.
Sunday was better especially at depth.
At 80' we had 20 foot visibility and plenty of ambient light.

Lots of Karp, Bass and Catfish. In about 30 feet off the East of the wall there are seven or eight catfish, pretty much camped out there.

Ran into some troubles with some fisherman on Sunday who didn't like us Scuba diving in "their cove". We were entering the water for our first dive and I gave them the number to the sheriff and told them to call, we would be back in 30 minutes or so. Surprisingly, they left before we surfaced.

I always tell 'em that we'll herd the fish toward where they're fishing. :D

Reactions: Jax
I always tell 'em that we'll herd the fish toward where they're fishing. :D

(not so) Funny story. Big group of us pulled up over at Sunset Cove on Wednesday. Lake was EMPTY except for two jet skis who were right on the road.

I went over to introduce myself and let them know we were going to dive in the area. My plan was to stay away from them.

First off, one of the guys couldn't be more rude. When I extended my hand to shake he just scoffed at me. Before I could get two words out.

I said, we were going to be Scuba diving and wanted to stay away from them and kindly asked, where are you guys jet-skiing. His answer, "the lake".

When I said, it was important for everyone's safety to understand how they are approaching the shoreline, so we can dive in a different area, he said "you guys better stay deep, we'll be the guys driving over you."

While I would like to think this is the exception versus the rule. The jet-ski season is fairly young and this seems to be the general contempt for Scuba diving from Jet-skiing. These people don't understand divers, the rules and regulations regarding dive flags, they don't even observe the no wake zone.

My advice: Be careful around these morons! While there are a few good guys who try to work with divers, they are few.

Therein lies the rub. We're the ones with the training and skill set. All they need is the mental aquity to turn a key and hang on. Dealing with tbis kind of attitude is the nature of diving at the lake from now until September. We need to dive early and get out before the boaters and jet skiiers get too liquored up. Although in the case of the guys in John's story they probably started at dawn. I can't believe somebody would be that prickish when sober.

John,
What's up with diving the west side of the lake. Is there a problem over at VP? I haven't been out to VP since they installed the berms to keep us from getting to the shore. I may have answered my own question.

Berms?

Ive been a couple times lately and backed down the trail in the middle of the cove with my tailgate hanging over the water, no problem. Maybe they bladed the road and pushed some dirt across that trail?

Unless you are talking about something else..

I can bring a shovel, if need be, next time I go.

Jeff

Yeah. "Berms" probably wasn't the right word. More like they bladed the road, as you suggested. Really messed up the access to the steps that somebody was kind enough to cut into the side of the hill.

I haven't been over there in about a month. Then we had to be kind of creative when working our way to the shore line. My buddy went tail over tea kettle trying to step over the "berm" after our first dive. A shovel would have come in handy then, if nothing else, just to bury his carcass (just kidding). I was wondering if John was doing classes at Beismeyer because the access at VP was no bueno. Well, more no bueno than normal. :D:D
Diving DT tomorrow anyways. C-ya at the lake.

Steve.

Berms?

Ive been a couple times lately and backed down the trail in the middle of the cove with my tailgate hanging over the water, no problem. Maybe they bladed the road and pushed some dirt across that trail?

Unless you are talking about something else..

I can bring a shovel, if need be, next time I go.

Jeff

Last edited:
Went diving at Vista Pt last night, Thursday. Vis was not as good due to the wind. Still a good dive.
-
Does anyone know if Lake Pleasant Harbor has ever been approached to see if they would create an easier access to the water at Vista Pt? I always bring a shovel to clear off the loose rock/dirt.

Went diving at Vista Pt last night, Thursday. Vis was not as good due to the wind. Still a good dive.
-
Does anyone know if Lake Pleasant Harbor has ever been approached to see if they would create an easier access to the water at Vista Pt? I always bring a shovel to clear off the loose rock/dirt.

I'll just use my Salt River safety stop shovel.:D

Thanks Gilad. It seems like the fish in your video were the only 2 or 3 fish in the area yesterday. I think drysuit season is about over.I'll probably be diving wet on Saturday's night dive.

Steve.

I was in the lake both days this weekend.

63* above 25 - 30 feet. Steady drop to 56* at 65 feet.

Viz is still about 20 feet.

Won't be in the lake now until May 15th. I am off to Key Largo to do Tec 40/45/50 in 80* water!

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom