first DLSR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The cost savings between the D5100 and the D7000 are negligible relative to the thousands you're going to be spending on ports, extension rings, domes, housing, lenses.. etc..

E.g. off the top of my head.
D7000 - $1200
Aquatica/S&S Housing - $2500-3000
Macro Port - $500
Wide Angle Port - $500-$1500
Extensions/Zoom Rings etc.. - $400-$600
Tokina 10-17 - $600
Nikkor 60mm Macro - $500
Strobes/Focus Lights - $500 - $2000
Magnifying Viewfinder - $1000 (optional)

Total w/o D7000 ~= $6000-$10000

Oh and you'll want insurance. That's another several hundred dollars.. plus all the other miscellanies..

Is that $500 you're saving on a body up front really make sense given you're dropping 5x that on the housing alone?

Of course what you build will look slightly different from this, but not dramatically. You're going to want a fisheye and a macro. You may want a rectilinear ultrawide zoom or decide you want to play with wide angle primes and so forth.... you may want multiple domes (probably a mini and a medium/large)... but this is a realistic baseline. My point isn't to create a perfect list.. but simply a realistic sample.

If this seems too daunting, consider something like the G12 which is a very good camera in its own right.

The cost savings between the D5100 and the D7000 are negligible relative to the thousands you're going to be spending on ports, extension rings, domes, housing, lenses.. etc..

D7000 - $1200
Macro Port - $500
Tokina 10-17 - $600
Nikkor 60mm Macro - $500

Oh and you'll want insurance. That's another several hundred dollars.. plus all the other miscellanies..

Is that $500 you're saving on a body up front really make sense given you're dropping 5x that on the housing alone?

Of course what you build will look slightly different from this, but not dramatically. You're going to want a fisheye and a macro. You may want a rectilinear ultrawide zoom or decide you want to play with wide angle primes and so forth.... you may want multiple domes (probably a mini and a medium/large)... but this is a realistic baseline. My point isn't to create a perfect list.. but simply a realistic sample.

If this seems too daunting, consider something like the G12 which is a very good camera in its own right.

Hawai! I am jealous here in cold Siwtzerland!!!!

First thanks for the detailed post. Really useful and a bit depressing...

The decision has been taken in favor of the D7000. I am currently evaluating which "over the water" lens to buy between the 18-105 and the 18-200. Most likely the 105 to get started as I need to learn to use this camera having only used P&S the last many years.
Currently I have a Canon A70 with housing, macro lens and one strobe for underwater.
It will take a short (or long??) while before I decide to make the big ($ wise) step to underwater photo with this new camera.

Once again many thanks for the info.

D7000 - $1200
Macro Port - $500
Tokina 10-17 - $600
Nikkor 60mm Macro - $500

I fully agree with bigblue here. You have to workout the total package of everything you want. This might be way out of your budget at the end of the day.

Regards Mark

Hawai! I am jealous here in cold Siwtzerland!!!!

First thanks for the detailed post. Really useful and a bit depressing...

The decision has been taken in favor of the D7000. I am currently evaluating which "over the water" lens to buy between the 18-105 and the 18-200. Most likely the 105 to get started as I need to learn to use this camera having only used P&S the last many years.
Currently I have a Canon A70 with housing, macro lens and one strobe for underwater.
It will take a short (or long??) while before I decide to make the big ($ wise) step to underwater photo with this new camera.

Once again many thanks for the info.

Oh no! I didn't want to depress you. Reality is that DSLRs are expensive though - certainly moreso than just the housing.

If you enjoy it.. just think of it as an investment? Most of the bits have good resale if you take care of them. The ports are like lenses in the sense that they don't really go obsolete. I spend a lot of money on diving. I drive a beatup old car - some people spend their money on BMWs instead. Are they more foolish or I? It's all about what you enjoy. Few of us are wealthy enough to try everything to excess, so we choose.

I just ordered a D7000 myself and should have it in my hands within a few days. Perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself, but I think you won't be disappointed - it looks to be a great camera.

If you want an inexpensive first lens that is still very good - consider the humble 18-55 VR. This cheap plastic lens takes great pictures for 80% of the 'walking around' type of stuff. You can pick one up at BHP for like ~120 refurbished (or like 140 new). On craigslist you can sometimes pick it up for under $100. Pretty hard to go wrong for that money. The non-VR is a bit cheaper but considering the delta of 20-30$ I don't see why you'd get the non-VR. (Edit: I just realized you're in CH so perhaps this pricing advice is not so relevant to you, sorry!)

Though I'm not much a fan of the 18-200 many people like it and I understand why. The 35/1.8 DX is also a great inexpensive lens ($250-300). Note that you will not use the 18-200 underwater.

Lens you probably would use underwater:
10-17 Tokina Fisheye (not as useful dry unfortunately)
10-24 Nikkor DX - Good for shooting wrecks, when you want a bit more reach, and very useful dry.
18-55 (you could! It focuses close pretty well - not ideal, just plugging my budget lens here :wink: ).
60mm macro.

It just depends on your habits. I'd really recommend the 18-55 for the reason that it is a cheap starter and there's not much regret on the $120 you've spent on it. You'll figure out pretty quickly based on your subjects and habits whether you want more flexibility (like the 18-200), reach (telephoto), or want to go ultrawide (10-24 is only real choice).

Thom Hogan has written a very detailed and lengthy article on lens choice here - http://www.bythom.com/rationallenses.htm

Remember - it's a DSLR so you can pick the lens YOU want. Some lenses are more useful than others, but ultimately it's a balance of the creative effect you're going for and your budget - oh and not carrying around 40 pounds of glass :wink:

@shoturtle: No sport specifically. Just shooting this and that to learn.

I think I'll get started with the 18-105 which can be bought as a Kit for under $ 200 additional. The 18-200 add an extra $500 and .. 200gr to carry(I think).
Nikon has a lens simulator on its site and I believe that the day I need a large zoom I better get a zoom on one side and a wide angle lens.

For underwater we'll see later based on the inputs above.

BTW I just ordered T Hogan's guide. 800 pages should keep me busy and away from this forum for a while.......

As far as spending money on diving I am thinking to switch to a wing .....

Then the d7000 will work out just fine without the sport photography aspect. It is not that great for that kind of photography with the tiny buffer that only let you take about 2.5 sec burst of 14-16 photos before it slows down to 1fps.

@shoturtle: No sport specifically. Just shooting this and that to learn.

I think I'll get started with the 18-105 which can be bought as a Kit for under $ 200 additional. The 18-200 add an extra $500 and .. 200gr to carry(I think).
Nikon has a lens simulator on its site and I believe that the day I need a large zoom I better get a zoom on one side and a wide angle lens.

For underwater we'll see later based on the inputs above.

BTW I just ordered T Hogan's guide. 800 pages should keep me busy and away from this forum for a while.......

As far as spending money on diving I am thinking to switch to a wing .....

Back
Top Bottom