scared of water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

underwatershark

Registered
Reaction score
I dont know how to swim, and when I go into the deep end. I get fearful of drowning, what is a good way to overcome this?

Firstly, you can only learn to swim by practice in the water. Ideally, your progress will be quicker if you employ professional instruction. Join a swimming club or investigate lessons in your area.

Secondly, your signature states "scuba without learning to swim?". The answer to that is 'no'. There is no training agency that permits non-swimmers to undertake scuba training.

Thirdly, you have stated in other posts that you will 'shortly' be learning to scuba dive. Are you aware that all agencies incorporate a mandatory swimming assessment into their entry-level scuba training courses? For instance, to certify with PADI, you will need to conduct a 200m un-timed swim (without stopping or resting) and a 'survival float'. If you can't achieve those, you won't be permitted to continue the course and you won't get certified.

not a land shark:
I dont know how to swim, and when I go into the deep end. I get fearful of drowning,

Makes sense to me. If you can't swim, you shouldn't be in the deep end because you can easily down there.

not a land shark:
what is a good way to overcome this?

Learn to swim.

DevonDiver:
There is no training agency that permits non-swimmers to undertake scuba training.

There's now more than one that does. I agree it's a horrible idea, but they didn't ask me.

DevonDiver:
Are you aware that all agencies incorporate a mandatory swimming assessment into their entry-level scuba training courses? For instance, to certify with PADI, you will need to conduct a 200m un-timed swim (without stopping or resting) and a 'survival float'. If you can't achieve those, you won't be permitted to continue the course and you won't get certified.

Some agencies now allow people to substitute a 300 yd snorkel for the 200 yd swim. They do still require a 10 minute tred or float. Even non-swimmers can snorkel 300 yds. The 10 minute float will be impossible for non-swimmers in good shape, but a breeze for overweight non-swimmers. Some agencies do not allow the substitution and laws in Europe prohibit it with any agency.

I dont know how to swim, and when I go into the deep end. I get fearful of drowning, what is a good way to overcome this?

scuba without learning how to swim?

:shocked2: :scared:

Pool lessons, then swim a lot, then snorkel and swim a lot, THEN maybe take scuba lessons.

You realize diving is essentially swimming with a can of air strapped to you, and most diving takes place "in the deep end?"

:zen:

Definitely get swim lessons. Practice and get comfortable in the water. Then go SCUBA

Good luck.

Im scratching my head figuring out why someone who cant swim and hates the water is even contemplating learning to dive. Not meant as an insult, genuinely curious. Im currently mulling over a number of thread topics in my head after a recent occurence and id be interested in the answer.

Thanks

Id take it slow. If youve already got a class date- cancel it. Instead, spend a lot of time in the shallow end of the pool with an instructor and learn the basics. Make it so that you are comfortable just being 'out of your depth' in the water and that you can make the swim test an easy pass. Trust me, your diving in future will definitely benefit.

Good luck

I'm also curious, like np251. It's possible that (after you learn to swim) scuba will help you with your fear of the deep end. Interestingly enough, though I have never been "scared" of deep water, I always got the heebee jeebees a little when in water near or over my head--swimming or even snorkelling. With scuba I have been as deep as 130' without any of those feelings. Go figure--maybe it's because if you do everything correctly and safely you know you have an attached air supply, and are not retricted by what's held in your lungs underwater? When you do get to scuba, for the 10 minute required float ask someone what "drownproofing" is. I believe there are on occasion fat people who sink and thin ones who float-though not the norm. Good luck.

UWS--There's a 90% chance that you can swim, you just don't know it yet. Once you realize that you can float with absolutely NO effort, all you have to do is learn how to push water from your head to your feet and you'll be swimming. I say 90% chance because about 10% of the people in the world really can't float. I was a sinker before I got old and fat. Could float with a lungful of air but sank like a rock when I exhaled. Now I'm fat and I can't get my bald spot under water.

Three guys in my OW class weren't confident in the water.

The first couldn't complete the 200m swim. The second couldn't complete the 10 minute float. The third felt seasick in the swimming pool. All three dropped out as a result, which was likely the best thing for them.

I've been on a few boat dives with my instructor whilst he's been certifying new students. On most dives there's usually a student or two who isn't confident in the water for some reason, but has managed to pass the required tests to that point. They tend to panic a bit, have trouble breathing, etc. These people don't tend to come to additional club dives. I suspect they don't dive again at all.

If you're not confident in the water, you're really not ready to dive. Get some swimming lessons, then go snorkeling. Take up diving once you do get comfortable, because if you're not comfortable in the water, you won't enjoy diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom