Justifying solo diving to others

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No they aren't trained to solo they are trained to fly, just as divers are trained to dive. What "help or redundancy" does the single engine solo pilot depend on other than being trained to fly.

I said dive solo in the same conditions they were trained in for open water, not night dive, a deep dive or a dive outside of their training, just like a student pilot is allowed to fly solo in daylight VFR conditions and not at night in IFR conditions.

the difference between solo flying & solo diving is that a plane coming down could kill other people a fatal mistake by a solo diver only kills one person.

I don't get too many comments about my solo diving. After all, I've been doing it longer than some of those who might comment have been alive (since the very first time I used SCUBA equipment back in 1961). If I'm on a dive boat with instructors I know teaching a class. I have no problem with them telling their class it is not a good thing for them to do.

Of course I also do a lot of my diving mid-week when fewer divers are out on the island, and at night during the warmer seasons. I wouldn't want anyone to actually see me diving or they might report my poor trim and frequent flailing.

I wouldn't want anyone to actually see me diving or they might report my poor trim and frequent flailing.

That was you ??? ... I thought it was a bat ray ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If you think justifying solo diving is difficult, try justifying solo living.

This would be one side of a phone conversation at my place:

"Yes, mom, she's a really sweet gal."
"No, mom, I have no intention of marrying again or living with her or anyone else - besides the cat, anyway."
"Yes, she's fine with that. She likes living in her own place as well. Otherwise we would have stopped seeing each other long ago."
"Because I like living my day-to-day life on my own."
"Don't you think people should live together because they WANT to, not because they feel they 'OUGHT' to?"
"Yes, I've discussed this with my doc. He says I'm fine."
"No, I will NOT get another one just because you don't like what this one says!"
"No, mom, I've never had suicidal thoughts. Well, not since you had to drive me around in the AMC Hornet as a teenager."
"No, mom, I have no brooding interest in taking an axe to my neighbors."
"But those people are UNHAPPY and feel lonely - I am HAPPY and feel great!"
"Mom, really, I just prefer to live ALONE. Can't you just feel happy for me?"
"Sure, I might change, mom, but it's been years and the more I live alone, the more I like it, so don't hold your breath..."​

That's not to even begin to mention diving alone...

I have gotten lots of odd looks on exiting the water alone; everything from incredulity to "you must be out of your freakin gourd" kind of looks. Not one has ever said a word to me. However, when I mention to someone in passing that I sometimes solo dive, I often get a negative response. My reaction is to not respond at all. As some of you have said, if one doesn't solo dive, then one probably doesn't get it...

If you think justifying solo diving is difficult, try justifying solo living.

This would be one side of a phone conversation at my place:

That's not to even begin to mention diving alone...

you really ought to introduce her to someone she hates & hint you are thinking of marrying her:)

(clear it with said woman beforehand)

We had this discussion the other night in our Intstructors class and our IT who teaches Solo made some (in my opinion) excellent points. Basicly most divers dive Solo without even being aware of it and those who are against it need to look at the bigger picture....

-If your working as an Instructor or divemaster are you not essentialy diving solo ?
-If your a photographer with your head in a camera do you allways no what your buddy is doing
-When you get an instant buddy are you not realy diving Solo
-etc, etc,

Like it or not almost every diver has gone Solo if they realize it or not. And Solo courses are nothing more than a method to teach divers to become more self reliant and think outside the Box....

I have gotten lots of odd looks on exiting the water alone; everything from incredulity to "you must be out of your freakin gourd" kind of looks. Not one has ever said a word to me. However, when I mention to someone in passing that I sometimes solo dive, I often get a negative response. My reaction is to not respond at all. As some of you have said, if one doesn't solo dive, then one probably doesn't get it...

You're handling it all wrong. When you see those strange looks, look panicked and ask them if they've seen another diver come out of the water in the past 10 minutes! :eyebrow:

You're handling it all wrong. When you see those strange looks, look panicked and ask them if they've seen another diver come out of the water in the past 10 minutes! :eyebrow:

Someone once asked me as I was climbing up the stairs at our local site ... "Where's your buddy?" I said "He's under a rock at about 90 feet ... the dude really pissed me off."

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom