Diver Accident 4/17/2011 Monterey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kristina, oh, Kristina. There must have been a reason God chose to take you from us that day. There must have been a reason that Dave and I were chosen to be your dive buddies that day. We never gave up on you, my dearest friend.

As I sit her sobbing like a baby, I already miss you terribly. I miss your infectious smile, your vigor and excitement, your tenacity for bouncing back and coming back to the beauty of being under the sea.

Until we meet again, my friend. Until that time.

KUDOS to you Dan, We all know she was diving with one of the best,you, you did everything you could to save her and we all want to say thank you very much for your valient Effort to bring our wonderful friend back Safely!!

Hang in there Buddy, and if there is anything I can do Just say so!!!!

We all are Missing her very dearly!!

Kristina,

My dive buddy, fellow North Coast Diver and dedicated Sharks fan. You will be sorely missed. You had infectious and enthusiastic smile. You always seemed to live life to the fullest. May God bless you and your family.

Ericson Reduta

Last edited:
Fisheater, I was going to the say the same thing. She is in a better place now. She was also one of the first to welcome me to the board. Never met her in person but I could see what everyone else talks about just through her posts. I heard where she is going the viz is unlimited and so is the diving.

Rest in Peace Kristina

Folks....

We have all lost a very special friend, a love, and diving Icon in my opinion...

We are all in tears of the loss of our very loved friend...

But, everyone, also , Please remember we all have a very loved and cared about friend/Brother that is still among us, One that is suffering much worse then we...

Folks, Please remember Dan Bermingham was there trying to save his/our friends life, He is struggling with the aftermath, and we all need to come together and support this friend that is going through this post horr that he is living with.

Folks, Please remember to be there for Dan!!

Hey Dan,

I have no doubt we'll see her again in the future. I just heard, what a tragedy, we'll all miss her infectious enthusiasm, her incredible tenacity to constantly improve her diving and her love of the ocean and above all, her love and affection for all of us!

I had the honor of diving with her on her 100th dive a couple of years ago, she wanted to dive at Monastery Beach, where she had her earlier accident, facing her dragons. It wasn't calm enough in my opinion so kathydee, Kristina and I dove at Point Lobos instead and had a wonderful dive. In the middle of the dive she pulls out a superman cape and a "100th Dive" sign and I recall vividly to this day that infectious smile we've all come to know! I'll never forget that Kristina, thanks so much for the memories!

Dan and Dave thanks for being there for her and doing all you did to help her. I know she appreciates you guys so much!!

Our hearts go out to her as I'm sure her's to ours. And I so believe that her adventures will continue. And as you said it so well, "Until we meet again."

Dive well Kristina,

Docwong

Kristina, oh, Kristina. There must have been a reason God chose to take you from us that day. There must have been a reason that Dave and I were chosen to be your dive buddies that day. We never gave up on you, my dearest friend.

As I sit here sobbing like a baby, I already miss you terribly. I miss your infectious smile, your vigor and excitement, your tenacity for bouncing back and coming back to the beauty of being under the sea.

Until we meet again, my friend. Until that time.

I don't believe I've ever interacted with her, but the caliber of people touched by her passing and the almost unprecedented level of compassion in this thread speaks volumes.

My sympathies to her family and friends.

RIP.

Hey guys, it's been a while since I posted on these boards. I can't believe that this is what I'm coming back to.

Kristina was also one of the first people to welcome me to ScubaBoard as a new diver, and one of my first dive buddies as well. I dove with her at Monastery with andrewy and she was a fantastic dive buddy. When I learned of her previous Monastery accident I was shocked by how much she loved the sport and to be back at the same spot and diving again. I also dove with her while she and I helped out at one of Jim Ernst's classes. Her enthusiasm and support was much appreciated. I even tried to lend her a drysuit one time since she was looking into buying one.

Dan and Dave, I have no idea who you are, but thank you.

I really don't know what else to say - being young, I've never really experienced much loss and always figure things will be ok. I heard about the accident a few days ago but just innocently thought she'd be ok. *shakes head* This is certainly a huge wake up call for me and I need to go... gather my thoughts.

I don't pray, but my thoughts are certainly with all those involved and connected with Kristina.

I will miss you, Kristina.

Carol and I just really got to know Kristina and dive with her the last few months. We were both blown away by her tenacity in coming back to diving after her previous near death experience and the physical issues it caused. I'm saddened by her loss and feel badly for Dan, especially, as he is not only dealing with the loss of a friend but the trauma of being her dive buddy and rescuer when it happened.
I don't think we'll ever know why, as there is no indication of what happened to cause Kristina's loss, but please dive safely and stay within yourselves. Take good care of your equipment, keep an eye on your gauges and communicate with your dive buddies. We've said goodbye to too many friends already.

We are saddened by the loss of Kristina. We first met her when she volunteered along with us to assist in the "exeriance Scuba" event at the Fremont school for the blind last year. She was wonderful and caring in helping those that came thru.

We were provided a sandwich and chips at lunch and it gave me a chance to sit and get to know Kristina. She told me about her tramatic event at Monastery and how proud she was to finally go back and make a successful dive there. I was touch by her passion for scuba diving.

However, her first passion was for her son. Her eyes shined as she told me all about him. Then it was time to get back to work in the pool. We never got to dive together but we had stayed in contact thru scubaboard.

When i read about her accident I was literally sick to my stomach...I know she will be greatly missed. Our prayers go out to her and her family.

Our prayers also go out to Dan and those present at the time of this tragic event. Im sure you will never forget this event and will spend a lot of time going over the details in your minds, wondering if you could have done something different. This will cause you a lot of pain, you my need to seek assistance come to terms with it...you did everything you could at the time, and I know that there are many friends here for you...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom