Backup/redundant gauges

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks for all the input. It was seeming like a lot of overkill when I was talking with some of the people. I guess I can chalk that one up to being a noob.

For recreational diving I would not worry about it.
Although others may have had different experience, in 40 years of diving I have never
had a gauge fail underwater (including some fairly extreme dives).
Just dive, gain experience then if a gauge does fail it is no big deal (assuming clear ascent to surface, ect).

I agree. In 20 years of diving I've never had any guage/computer fail. I realize it can happen but the chances are slim. Save your money.

Ive had a computer fail but that was in fairly extreme cold. I generally just have a wee computer and an analog depth gauge and watch. I use the depth gauge and watch as my primary and my comp can serve as a backup watch/depth gauge if one of them dies, though ive never had problems with them.

I find it quite handy having backup gauges since i can check them against each other and if one off my buddies gauges breaks or they forget one i can hand one of my gauges off. I wouldn't say its necessary though, if my computer wasn't so small i probably wouldn't bother carrying backup gauges since they would take up to much space.

Your backup gauges are with your buddy. Your buddy also provides a backup brain which is more critical than any gauge.

I cannot think of a case where a spg failed. Computers do need periodic battery replacement nut all of them that I have used have an indicator to tell you if you are getting low. Other than occasional pressure sensor failures they are fairly reliable.

I'm trying to think of a situation where some loaner gear or a dive shop would be unreachable within 24 hours to get you a rental to replace what broke, fix your stuff or where you can just buy new stuff within a reasonable timeframe of when you need it.

When I am going on a dive trip. I carry an extra Computer and analog SPG unit. I dive with my son who has an air intergrated computer and I dive with a watch/transmitter. Should any of these units fail on the boat or get damaged we can still dive by installing the back up. I started doing this when my son's analog SPG flooded on the 1st dive and we had to sit on the boat for the second dive.

B/

Back
Top Bottom