Diving after lobectomy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wombat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A search of the SB doesn't reveal any threads discussing this particular question. I am scheduled for removal of the upper right lobe in a couple of weeks, due to lung cancer (yes boys and girls, smoking really is bad for you!). Perhaps my priorities are off, but one of my main concerns is whether I'll be able to dive again. I understand the actual decision will require consultation with my own doctors, and preferably also a local doctor with scuba knowledge, but I'm also very interested in the current thinking of those in this community who know about such things (especially those with the letters MD after their names). Thanks in advance.

It's likely to depend on what your pulmonary function testing is post-op, and what your exercise tolerance is without the removed portion of lung. I would certainly expect a fairly long convalescence (at least 2 or 3 months) before you are at your new baseline. It may also be possible that they will want to add some radiation or chemo to your therapy, and those have their own implications for diving fitness.

Last edited:
To add to what the other posters have said, you and your physicians will want to make sure that there are no structural abnormalities in the lung that could cause air trapping, either as a result of the surgery or due to other underlying damage. Have you quit smoking?

Come on, Jim tossed it out, somebody take it!

To add to what the other posters have said, you and your physicians will want to make sure that there are no structural abnormalities in the lung that could cause air trapping, either as a result of the surgery or due to other underlying damage. Have you quit smoking?

What he said. Please be very very careful about returning to diving. It make take some time to determine whether or not you are at risk for air trapping or not. It would not be pretty if you discovered this on ascent.

It is, in all but clinical situations, difficult to differentiate a person who has undergone a frontal lobotomy from your average scuba diver.

Thanks all for the thoughts. And it is lobectomy rather than lobotomy, although some people have suggested the latter might be indicated by the desire to return to diving after the former (nondivers, naturally). In response to Duke Dive Medicine, I was sane enough to finally quit smoking ten years ago, but not soon enough. I didn't expect any definitive answers, but it's good to see no "Forget It!"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom