Diving with Mask Squeeze?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jupitermermaid

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
My SO is so motivated to get his certification. He has encountered a few problems along the way, but is determined to get past the problems and earn his cert. Several days ago, he got mask squeeze by trying to keep the mask "tight" on his face to prevent water from entering his mask. He wants to get back in the water ASAP. Is it okay to dive with having mask squeeze (he looks like a racoon...lol), or should he hold off until the bloodshot eyes and black and blue marks go away?

First off he should get a properly fitting mask. That will cure 90% of the issue right there.

Second, if he does get mask squeeze at depth after getting a proper fitting mask, all he has to do is blow out of his nose to eliminate the squeeze.

Does he have any facial hair?

No, he has no facial hair. He wears a hooded vest, and kept getting water in his mask because the hood would create a leak for water to get in. He tried to avoid the problem by "sucking in" the mask to keep a tight seal. It was purely from his attempt to keep a good seal. He didn't realize he was supposed to equalize his mask as well as his ears.

Is he tightening it up that much to keep it from leaking?
Often, you get the opposite effect of what you were looking for, when you tighten it up too much... looser, in this case, is often better.
If the mask fits properly, you don't have to tighten up like a garrot.

If you're feeling mask squeeze, just breath out through your nose, as if clearing... voila...

As an aside, it took me about 12 different masks before I found one that fit properly (and leaked minimally)... turned out to be a SeaVision Ultra.

I think the issue was his mask skirt being over his hood. He needs to make sure the mask seals around his face and that the hood isn't under his seal. This is really common on the sides under the strap.

LOL everybody. I think the OP was whether he should dive with "raccoon" face. I know the Mermaid.

I suspect she knows what caused the squeeze and will get her SO on track. :)

My wife had the squeeze during our trip to Coz last month. To be safe, I called DAN and they said no problem diving after the incident but to be aware that it will look worse before it looks better.

She didn't have "raccoon face" but those red eyes made everyone think twice about crossing my "devil child"!

Hi Mermaid,

Mask squeeze usually looks a lot worse than it is. Hopefully your SO will take the great advice that's been given here. If he does dive again before he's healed up and he makes the same mistake, he's at risk for aggravating the injury and (at the extreme end) causing permanent damage to his vision.

Best regards,
DDM

Hi Mermaid,

Mask squeeze usually looks a lot worse than it is. Hopefully your SO will take the great advice that's been given here. If he does dive again before he's healed up and he makes the same mistake, he's at risk for aggravating the injury and (at the extreme end) causing permanent damage to his vision.

Best regards,
DDM

Thanks. He knows EXACTLY what he did wrong and now knows how to equalize his mask as well as his ears. He wants to get back into the water, but didn't want to go too soon if there was a risk of greater injury. I'll let him know what could happen if he doesn't equalize the mask and let him decide when to start diving again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom