Kristina's memorial plaque discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The plaque needs to be on hard substrate. If it's in sand, it will
eventually work its way down into the sand. It also needs to be
secured in some manner. And deep enough that it won't get moved
around.

Those who knew her best are best qualified to say where.

Hi Guys:

I've actually been looking into this through various web sites. The only thing that I could find are plaques made of Bronze or Aluminum. I don't know if these two materials will work for long term exposure to salt water.

I was able to find a large titanium plate that is bare. Can anyone prep and machine titanium? It will probably the best material, longevity wise since it doesn't degrade in salt water.

Did Kristina have a favorite spot on the Breakwater. I suggested the large rectangular boulder, as it marked the usual entry/exit of most dives.

Claude

Titanium would be awesome, but I don't know where we could get it machined. It's pretty tough stuff and highly resistant to salt water.

Granite is pretty tough and resistant to the effects of the ocean, too.

I'm open to as where to place it.

I have access to a boat or two. :wink:

A piece of brass, bronze or copper.
A plate about one foot by 15 or 16 inches. The plate could be engraved or a sand blast stencil over the plate and the lettering blasted in.
The plate could then be attached to a monument piece made out of concrete. Something like a monument you see which memorializes a historical person or other important historical interest.
Basically a four sided tapered column with a pyramid top and the plate is mounted on one of the sides with four rivets with barbed shanks that are embebed into the concrete.
The assembly is then placed upon a cheap inflatable toy raft and towed out to the site. A lift bag is attached onto the monument and then the raft is deflated and the monument is guided down into position.
The metridium field at the end of the pipe would be a wonderful site for such a memorial.
The winter storms have little impact inside the bay and it would be visited by hundreds of divers. Copper would also inhibit growth so it would stay clean and be readable for a very long time.
I would do it under the radar.
You know how red tape works, right?
Once it's placed no public official in their right mind would make a fuss about it.
It wouldn't be hurting a thing.

A piece of brass, bronze or copper.
A plate about one foot by 15 or 16 inches. The plate could be engraved or a sand blast stencil over the plate and the lettering blasted in.
The plate could then be attached to a monument piece made out of concrete. Something like a monument you see which memorializes a historical person or other important historical interest.
Basically a four sided tapered column with a pyramid top and the plate is mounted on one of the sides with four rivets with barbed shanks that are embebed into the concrete.
The assembly is then placed upon a cheap inflatable toy raft and towed out to the site. A lift bag is attached onto the monument and then the raft is deflated and the monument is guided down into position.
The metridium field at the end of the pipe would be a wonderful site for such a memorial.
The winter storms have little impact inside the bay and it would be visited by hundreds of divers. Copper would also inhibit growth so it would stay clean and be readable for a very long time.
I would do it under the radar.
You know how red tape works, right?
Once it's placed no public official in their right mind would make a fuss about it.
It wouldn't be hurting a thing.

Thank you for the useful info Erik!!!

Please make sure someone (or more than one) takes a video of the placement when all is set and done and post it online. Some of us can't make it for the event. But I am sure I'll visit it first time I have a chance.

If family is cremating Kristina (just wondering), perhaps a little ash can be put aside and mixed into the concrete for the base of the plaque.

Was only able to meet Kristina a couple of times, and saddened by the news. The Metridium field isn't a bad idea, but what about where her last dive was, not sure exactly, but thought I read something about Ballbuster or something? I'm sure the site isn't an easy site to get to, or easy site to dive, but would serve better as a reminder on the kind of diver Kristina had became.

Was only able to meet Kristina a couple of times, and saddened by the news. The Metridium field isn't a bad idea, but what about where her last dive was, not sure exactly, but thought I read something about Ballbuster or something? I'm sure the site isn't an easy site to get to, or easy site to dive, but would serve better as a reminder on the kind of diver Kristina had became.

Selfishly I would prefer somewhere in Breakwater. This way I am sure to be able to visit it when in NorCal as it doesn't require a boat. :)

I have access to a boat or two. :wink:
Or three!

I am sure there is someone on this board that works in a machine shop that would be willing to donate a little bit of time for a good cause. Remember this is a HUGE discussion forum.

Count me in for a part of the material costs. Titanium or bronze makes the most sense to me, but I am not a metallurgist. Concrete for the rest of it will be fairly cheap.

Breakwater is the most logical place, since most of her dives took place there. Plus it will be a reminder for more divers that "Kristina was here" :cool2: Plus I would imagine there is less surge and current to disturb it, but I could be wrong.

Now what to put on the plaque? "Kristina always had a big hug and warm smiles for everyone..." "Happily taking out divers new to Monterey for their first underwater exploration of the area..." Not too much writing, and something simple.

Back
Top Bottom