Mammoth Lake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOW!!! New owners have really cleared up Mammoth lake. We dove 4/23/2011, 20'+ visibility, temp 72 degrees to 30 feet, below that it was 69 degrees. We dove the area from pavilion 10 to 28. Great vis throughout. Lots of bass in their spawning activities. All the sunken structures are easily visible. We have been diving the Mammoth for the past 3 years and I am impressed at what Ryan has done. They have really organized the store with the full line of ScubaPro equipment. We'll be back more often for sure. Y'all gotta see it to believe it.

Dive Safe

Going for first time next weekend... Thanks for the report... Anyone fron NTexas wanna join us????

The 20+ vis is no joke. Maybe its because it has not rained in a month at least, but when I got there I walked down the dock and I could see the bottom (that was a first for me a mammoth) It was not crystal clear, but the best I've seen at mammoth.

I was dry as its a bit cold in some parts, but mostly its 5mil territory in the popular parts of the lake

I did 4 dives and saw more in mammoth then I ever had.

I was at Mammoth this past Friday and Saturday. The vis on Friday was the best I have ever seen it at about 20'. We could see the bottom from the docks and looking down from the surface, we could see the boats, planes, and platforms. The vis was somewhat reduced on Saturday, but still really good as compared to any other time I have dived there. Temps were comfortable, but then again, I was diving dry. It was a good weekend of diving!

WOW!!! New owners have really cleared up Mammoth lake. We dove 4/23/2011, 20'+ visibility, temp 72 degrees to 30 feet, below that it was 69 degrees. We dove the area from pavilion 10 to 28. Great vis throughout. Lots of bass in their spawning activities. All the sunken structures are easily visible. We have been diving the Mammoth for the past 3 years and I am impressed at what Ryan has done. They have really organized the store with the full line of ScubaPro equipment. We'll be back more often for sure. Y'all gotta see it to believe it.

Dive Safe

What exactly is it that the owners could/did do in order to "clear up" the lake?

Also I would just like to clearify that the lake is still owned by the same people but there are different people operating the shop.

The owners havent done anything new from my understanding. I think the lake is finally starting to mature a little. ML has had good vis the last few years during late winter and springs. Once the algae starts to grow is when it gets worse. Normally the wind causes more probablys but I believe the pipes around the lake have been moved into a little bit deeper water has helped with some one of the back wash. Plus I have seen some vegatation growing in some spots that were bare bottom before.

We missed you Saturday Carl, Chris and I were there and spent the whole day diving... dunno how me missed you. We stayed in the middle to South parts.

It would have been a great day for your scooter.

My group was at shelter #1 on Friday and Saturday. I wish I had brought my scooter, too. I may bring it for some fun diving when I return there with my groups during the first two weekends in May. I figure after that, the algae will take over and visibility will get worse, as Michael described in his post.

Looks like a great dive lake. Too bad I'm too far away! :depressed:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom