Question About USS Thorfinn Incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The next call to DAN should have been to ask if it was okay to continue diving, and I highly doubt they would have said sure go ahead! I wouldn't have gotten back in the water other than for swimming/snorkeling that is for sure.

I quite agree, never heard of getting significantly bent and immediately resuming diving all on the same trip! :shakehead:

We just got back from Truk and heard the last time that someone needed a chamber ride, they had to go to Guam because there is no operator for the chamber in Chuuk.

I know our divemasters were using their cellphones for local calls to family, but for any calls outside of Chuuk, had to be a Sat phone - about $2/minute (I think).

We just got back from Truk and heard the last time that someone needed a chamber ride, they had to go to Guam because there is no operator for the chamber in Chuuk.

I know our divemasters were using their cellphones for local calls to family, but for any calls outside of Chuuk, had to be a Sat phone - about $2/minute (I think).

There is a chamber here, and a few operators. So there is always someone on call that can operate it. The chamber is privately operated (AUS company), and has no full time medical staff. They take orders from overseas Doctors, in extreme cases it is sometimes best to stabilize patient with 1-2 rides or O2 and get them to a place with proper hyperbaric Dr's like Guam.

As for the O2 cost, Here in Truk Med O2 is $100 a "J" bottle, that is what insurance is for.....Why should the operator eat that expense? As for a phone call, maybe that could be written of as a good will gesture.

Neuro Sx ...? And he didn't end up in this?

outside-chamber.jpg

O2 for 3 days, in lieu of recompression therapy, is odd to say the least. Heck, I would be kicking and screaming to send me to the chamber for just a Type I hit.

All the best, James
There is a chamber here, and a few operators. So there is always someone on call that can operate it. The chamber is privately operated (AUS company), and has no full time medical staff. They take orders from overseas Doctors, in extreme cases it is sometimes best to stabilize patient with 1-2 rides or O2 and get them to a place with proper hyperbaric Dr's like Guam.

As for the O2 cost, Here in Truk Med O2 is $100 a "J" bottle, that is what insurance is for.....Why should the operator eat that expense? As for a phone call, maybe that could be written of as a good will gesture.
Hi Rob!

As patient #45 in Oct 2008, I can give some personnel info on the Chuuk Chamber above (when staffing is available):

Chamber Operator: Larry J. Bruton
Attending Physician: Glen Hawkins M.D. (remote consult from Australia)
Ancillary Physician, post-HBOT/TT6: Christine Bocek M.D. Sefin Health Clinic, Weno Chuuk FSM.
Administered by: Hyperbaric Health, Melbourne Australia.

The charter should have laid out all he costs and also how they handled DCS I would not have been happy sucking O2 down for three days I would have opted for a chamber ride. Albeit in the scheme of things $600 is not a big hit. I am assuming the Captain or crew spoke to DAN and not your friend.

A friend of mine had the same experience...took a minor hit and ended up on Oxygen and ringing DAN. Thorfinn charged him for both but I think the way he sees it is that the bends is something that can happen when you've done everything right. Be happy everything's OK I reckon. I'd rather fork out for the o2 then not have them give me just any in case I needed it

A friend of mine had the same experience...took a minor hit and ended up on Oxygen and ringing DAN. Thorfinn charged him for both but I think the way he sees it is that the bends is something that can happen when you've done everything right. Be happy everything's OK I reckon. I'd rather fork out for the o2 then not have them give me just any in case I needed it

Fair enough but why would you dive on a boat that didn't provide O2, this is not a luxury it is a necessity for any kind of diving the boat operator should have an adequate supply of O2. I understand that in some areas O2 is insanely expensive but what would have happened if the diver in question took a bad hit were the procedures and associated costs explained clearly at any time?

Back
Top Bottom