Dive boat recommendation Cairns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bashaw77

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm going to be in Cairns in the middle of May for five days, I've been looking for Dive Boats that do day dives on the GBC that limit the divers to 10 or 12 it seems like a lot of the boats are huge and take a lot of people I'm not into crowds when I'm Diving. We're going with another couple that are non divers, so the liveaboards wont work for me. if somebody could recommend a dive boat I would appreciate it.

Honestly most of the boats out of Cairns are "cattle boats", but most of the people on those boats are either just snorkeling or doing introductory diving. So, if you're certified, you'll go with a DM and your group shouldn't be too big, probably not more than 10 (my groups averaged around 5 on Reef Experience). Also, don't rule out all of the liveaboards, because many of them accommodate snorkelers quite well, like Ocean Quest and Reef Encounter, which I worked on for 6 months). Passions, Tusa, ProDive, Compass, Reef Experience, and Reef Magic will probably provide a great experience too.

indeed... I've been on Tusa a few times and have mostly only bumped into my buddy on the dives. Before the dive you just ask the deck watch where is a good place to go that you might see XYZ, deeper, stay shallow etc... and they'll find something for you usually. if they're feeling nice they'll take you out on the tender and tell you the best way to get back.

the boat does take 70-80 people (guessing) there might be 10-20 certified divers, at a guess the capacity would be 40-50 tank capacity, most taken by intro divers as they pump them through with only 15-20min underwater....

Doesn't sound appealing, and confirms my experience in Cairns. Try and get on a live aboard.

If you type Cairns into the search engine on the web site there are more threads about this with a ton of info.

Yes some Cairns boats are large, but I still go with Quicksilver Silver Series. Thats me. I like it, its for divers or snorkelers only and I get three dives in.
This way they can snorkel with a marine guide, you can dive.
Yes their max group is 8 divers per guide, but I have never seen that many people to a guide and you can actually get a private guide for your group or self. Ive done that and it was actually pretty cheap (sorry cant remember how much). You have to tell them as soon as possible with as much time as you can so they can have a guide for you, you cant do it on the day.

To be honest mate I do not know any dive boats that limit to 10 people. Its not possible money wise.
You have to remember it take 60-90-120 mins to get to Barrier Reef Dive sites depending where your leaving from and where your going.
The reef isnt off the beach, actually not true the reef meets the rainforest further up but you cant dive there, but you take the boat out, which is why they leave early and its all day. Out at 8 am back at 5 pm. 3 dives etc.

as said above, its just not profitable to go out to the Reef with a handful of people. There were a few boats (Daytripper etc) thatused to run with 12, but they were small motor / sail boats and with these sorts of trips you only get to places like Upolo Cay which are not really great dive areas.

Tusa is probably the best bet as it takes less but is stil a great trip with good sites and great crew. Cairns Day Dive Trips With Tusa To The Great Barrier Reef

Live abaordds maybe a better option and there is one that does cater for small numbers (about 12) called Coral Sea Dreaming see here Cairns Live Aboard Dive Trips With Coral Sea Dreaming To The Outer Barrier Reef

You will be paying a lot more that others to go to the same sites but it is a great trip and low numbers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cairns Discount Dive And Snorkel Trips. Live Aboard And Day Trips To The Great Barrier Reef

JB:
Doesn't sound appealing, and confirms my experience in Cairns. Try and get on a live aboard.

it is what it is... I flew up a day before my Mike Ball trip and stayed with friends and spent a day on the reef since i had the day off anyway, it was a good day, turtles, circling barracuda, sharks, tonnes of great fish, coral was good (not great)... IMO money well spent instead of walking around town or sitting at home waiting to get on a plane.

the other time I was up there for work and took a flexi day to go diving.

I just came from Cairns and opposite to what most people said, there are 4 options for short and small liveaboards; I did my research to the detail and I can share the details with you inf interested; PM me if you are interested and I will be glad to give you my personal opinion, experience and all the results of my research. Best regards,

why don't you just post it instead of telling people to PM you?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom