bp/w and single tank diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Emparo821

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
i am hoping to buy a bp/w soon and i was wondering something. i was specifically looking at a hollis setup with a cross straps, and setup for single tank diving as that is all i'm qualified for and all i will probably going do for the foreseeable future. i was wondering; i see from pictures that the bp has slots for cam bands and a single tank, do you really need to single tank adapter or can you get by with just using the cam bands and strapping the tank straight to the bp?

Depends... The wing you choose may have a bit of a STA built in. My oxycheq does, and for me the tank does not move around. Some prefer to use an STA or a weighted STA to help with trim. I do find that I have to pay attention when setting up that I get the tank and wing in line with the plate before I tighten straps.

ok thanks for the input, that makes the purchase easier as i can buy it and then add the STA later if i find that i'd prefer it.

One thing to possibly check on or take into consideration: Most (likely all) backplates have the holes at 11" on center, so things should be basically completely interchangeable that way. The holes in most wings should match up with the plate holes.

But, there is no guarantee that cam strap slots will line up amongst all different wings and plates. Many may. I have two different brands of wings and they both fit on my plate; but I have heard this is not always the case. Just something to check on or measure.

Also, on some plates the cam band slots are lower than they become if/when you add an STA. This might not matter to you if you don't need or want the tank riding lower. And/or you might modify the STA to suit.

I don't mean to overly complicate things. I have a plate with slots, two wings that have built in "stoppers," and an STA.... and they all fit together (well on one wing I would have to remove the wobble stopper to use the STA; on the other one they just fold out of the way).

Just some things to check on. I enjoyed trying with and without STA, and experimenting with tank position and etc.

Blue Sparkle

Apeks WTX harness...

I've had steel 79's, AL 80's, up to LP 121's on it, all without the need of a STA.

I have the Hollis S25 on a Hollis SS backplate. You do not need a STA with this set up. The tank is super stable. I really like my Hollis wing and I highly recommend getting a Hollis plate too. Good luck.

I was contacted last night by a couple who has decided to stop diving for health reasons. I will be meeting with them to see about selling their gear. They have two DSS single tank rigs that I helped them set up. These do not require an STA due to the wing design. I have no idea what they will want for them just yet and am not making any money off of the deal. If the OP is interested I will let him know when we have things ready to go. Or anyone else for that matter.

I have the Hollis S25 on a Hollis SS backplate. You do not need a STA with this set up. The tank is super stable. I really like my Hollis wing and I highly recommend getting a Hollis plate too. Good luck.

@ triggerman:that is actually the perfect answer i was looking for. as i've been searching that was the bp/w that stuck out most to me for my current needs!

@ Jim: i send you my email in a message to see what the price and condition of the bp/w is when and if it goes on sale, thanks for the offer!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom