I want to try out tech diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you really have good control over your buoyancy and I mean really good, go for it. I have seen lots of divers with few-ish dives under their belts and a lot better that some of the more "experienced" divers. The thing is that you have to be very honest about your ability. In tech there is no room for error!!! It will bite you.

Safe Diving.

Guys... whilst I don't disagree with anyone's advice about getting experience before moving to tech... the OP is talking about doing an 'Intro to Tech' course. Remember - this is a very limited confined water intro to the equipment and concepts of tech diving. A 'tech DSD' as it were.

What's the worst that can happen? The OP will learn some new concepts that can help shape their future self-development as a recreational diver, will learn about more precise dive planning (including gas management) and will get the chance to experience how BP&W/doubles feels in the water. It's no biggie... and many of these things, especially the dive planning and gas management, are pointers that we typically recommend recreational divers to develop.

Although I don't think there is ANYTHING wrong with someone taking an ITT course early on, I just wanted to comment that the ones taught around here (UTD and NAUI) are not confined water classes, but definitely involve open water diving. It just isn't deep diving.

I would recommend that you get a set of double 85 steel cylinders, a horse collar BCD, Navy swimmer shorts, Rocket Fins and go dive the deepest warm water location near you, even if it is just the local base pool. Do some gear removals, switch regulators, clear your mask and swim laps.

My understanding of the military dive schools (yep, Army and Marines too) are really all about fitness. Lots of swimming, running and calisthenics. The education is just sprinkled in between torture sessions. Get a copy of the U.S. Navy SEAL Fitness Manual and use it. There seems to be a copy available here http://www.usnavysealstore.com/products.asp?product=7751 Enjoy.

I would say go for it...it is only a course and you will soon find out what you need to work on and improve. In fact it will reemphasize a lot of the basics and make you a better diver in the long run even when you are just diving recreationally. It is also a good way to challenge yourself under the watchful eyes of a ''diving professional'' that you need to pick carefully.

Yeah man, take the class. Get some more experience and get it with an instructor helping you out. There are some good ones here on island that will be able to make sure you are good to go. The more bottom time, education, and experience you have will not hurt you when you go to Dive School. Keep adding onto your bottom time, through some run, swim, runs in there and you'll be just fine.

It is far easier to teach someone with no experience then someone who has a little. Military training across various fields is so far removed from what happens outside the fence line that it is rarely a good idea to attempt to learn a specific skill on your own. Want to get ready for P-city? Work on your physical fitness and mental resiliency. If you can develop a strong body and strong will everything else will fall into place.

You didn't indicate what field you're currently in, but if you're being accepted to cross-rate to ND you're best bet is to find the local Dive Motivator if there are any on Okinawa or to contact the ND enlisted community manager and ask what they think you should do to prepare. From what I see here in Pearl potential divers spend a lot of time in the pool and running about and zero time diving as a prep for the program. Good luck and never quit!

Michael

It is far easier to teach someone with no experience then someone who has a little. Military training across various fields is so far removed from what happens outside the fence line that it is rarely a good idea to attempt to learn a specific skill on your own. Want to get ready for P-city? Work on your physical fitness and mental resiliency. If you can develop a strong body and strong will everything else will fall into place.

With regards to scuba, I would disagree.

The OP would benefit from exposure to the demands of tech diving training, especially in regard to stress management, problem solving, task loading, air deprivation and general comfort underwater.

A good tech diving instructor will help develop mental resiliency to survive in the underwater environment.

Andy:

I know that you're quite familiar with military training, so I know your advice is informed by that, but I must still disagree. While I have no doubt you're correct that tech experience may offer some good background in problem solving and stress management I still stand by my advice to not go down this route. IIR correctly the path of ND is OC scuba > hard hat school (second class diver) > first fleet assignment. It's fairly rare that a brand new navy diver will be diving tech, far more likely to be doing surface supplied work shallower then 60 feet.

I've just seen too many people show up to various schools thinking that prior experience means that either they don't have to work as hard or that their experience will translate into how we do things. I'm in no way saying the OP will behave that way, but I still recommend being a blank slate when it comes to this.

Michael

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom