How do you travel with your camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hotpuppy

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm curious how others take their camera when they go on dive trips.

Last time I put it in my carry on, which was fine, but I did not have as much "stuff".

My current list of Camera gear is:
Canon G-9
Spare Canon G-9 (I have two, might as well bring it with)
3 batteries
1 battery charger
8 AA Batteries
Sea & Sea YS-120 DUO
Strobe Arm
Ikelite Case and tray
battery charger that accomodates AA batteries and C batteries for dive light.

I'm looking in the next year to start diving my EOS 40D. That of course has it's own Lowe Pro Backpack.

I own a Pelican case, but have not traveled with it.

So I guess my question is... does anyone check any of their gear? If so at what point?

Can you carry on a pelican case? Mid-size? How much of a hassle is TSA with your camera gear?

Last time I put it in my carry on, which was fine, but I did not have as much "stuff".

Canon G-9
3 batteries
1 battery charger
8 AA Batteries
Sea & Sea YS-120 DUO
Strobe Arm
Ikelite Case and tray

I'm looking in the next year to start diving my EOS 40D. That of course has it's own Lowe Pro Backpack.

So I guess my question is... does anyone check any of their gear? If so at what point?

Can you carry on a pelican case? Mid-size? How much of a hassle is TSA with your camera gear?

I have a setup kind of like yours and I pack that, a couple of lights, regs, and a dive computer into my carryon. Yes, I regularly get pulled aside and we go through what's there. Just be patient and polite and you're fine. I put everything in an overhead sized roller bag.

I mean, what are your options, leaving it all home?

Yea, I think I solved the weight puzzle this time. The strobe, mounting arm, batteries and charger went into the dive bag. I got rid of my regulator bag after the last trip and went through my gear with a fine toothed comb looking for stuff to ditch.

I also switched to a newer laptop... Toshiba Portege 3 pounds, vs. Dell Monstrosity 10 pounds.

I carry the expensive stuff like the camera, dive computer, sometimes my regulators. Everything else is covered by a Farmers Personal Property insurance policy so it gets checked.

With little system like that, put camera in housing, then put all listed, and laptop, in roller bag with whatever else fits. I do this with oversized SLR.

Pelican is overkill.

I don't pack my reg or dive computer in carryon--worst comes to worst, I can rent equipment. In the room saved, I pack bathing suit, and a change of clothes. Again, if my checked bags don't show up, I can still dive and take pictures.

Sitting next to me at dinner after 3 days waiting for checked bags would be a questionable decision!

FF

I used to pack my camera stuff along with regs into my carry-on. I bought a Tamrac 5788 Evolution 8 Photo/Laptop Sling Backpack Bag last year and now I can put all my camera gear into it and have lots more room in my carry-on.
41rx2MH0vZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This qualifies as the 2nd piece that you can take on board in addition to the carry-on. It has room for my laptop as well.
I used to have a similar setup as you do (G9 with Ike housing). I had bulky Ike strobes. I have since moved to a Oly E-Pl1 and a couple of tiny Inon s-2000 strobes, giving me even more room, so that I can fit all my U/W photo gear plus my T2i and 300mm zoom lens into the small backpack.
Amazon.com: Tamrac 5788 Evolution 8 Photo/Laptop Sling Backpack Bag (Black): Camera & Photo

Until beginning of this year, I had an Oly-SP350 setup with ULCS tray/arms and a single Nikonos SB105 flash. All of this fit into a small Pelican 1450 that I carried on board. Separately, my laptop and dive computer went into my Kata RL-302 backback:

I am travelling next week for the first time with a slightly larger setup: G12 in Fix housing, dual inon strobes, and longer arms. Based on some other threads on this board, I am changing my strategy a bit. I am checking a slightly larger Pelican 1500 that will hold my tray, handles, arms, charger and other non-fragile stuff. It will have room for plenty of other misc heavy junk, such as guidebooks, leatherman, dive knife, etc. to help offload my luggage and dive bag. I am carrying on a larger Kata 3N1-33 photo-laptop bag:

It is more than adequate to hold the G12, housing, the two strobes, my laptop, my dive computer and other necessaries. Once I arrive on island, I will switch everything over to the Pelican case for the shore/boat dives.

My girlfriend and I travelled to Lembeh recently, and used a 2-bag strategy where:

Bag 1 > Backpack > Regulators + laptop
Bag 2 > Small duffel bag > Camera in housing, strobe + arms, focus light

In Asia the weight restrictions are a bit harsher than in North America/International, and with this setup I look like i have small bags so i wasn't stopped by Singapore Airlines (who scrutinise about this stuff) to weigh the bags. I figure if the bag looks bigger, they have more intuition to want to weigh it whereas if I have 2 small bags the backpack isn't considered the carry on and if they really wanted to weigh the duffel it would be close to the 7kg mark (with 2 cameras in FIX housings and 3 strobes).

Anyways, i think form factor, weight and carriage style will influence your pick - I was fine to carry around the duffel, easiest when slinged over opposite shoulder properly.

Canon G-9
3 batteries
1 battery charger
8 AA Batteries
Sea & Sea YS-120 DUO
Strobe Arm
Ikelite Case and tray

Hey there!
Got nearly the same setup with my G10, the Ikelite housing and an Ikelite DS-160 substrobe with strobe arm. I put it all in my Pelican 1500 case and never had any problems travelling anywhere (US, Central America or Egypt). The things I take in my normal luggage are extra batteries, charger, cables and the spare camera. Of course I also travel with my Nikon D90 in an extra LowePro bag. So with these two items I never had problems (with TSA or similar). They just make me fill out a form every time I leave Switzerland which says that I have disconnected the battery from the lamp so it can not set on fire all of a sudden...

Thomas

Back
Top Bottom