Continuing Education

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Non paskunt foedis!

Michael

Last edited:
Diver mike not sure of the purpose of that comment. Please help me with my Latin, something does not foul or not filthy..?

I will be doing my AOW next month. Learn to wreck dive later this year. And pretty much just do a lot of diving with more experienced divers to learn.

... damn computer!

Last edited:
Reactions: Jax
Why must someone who has mastered safety-critical dive skills continue taking classes? Perhaps because the level of OW on average isn't really mastery, it's borderline sufficient. Adding more classes is a kludge. Fix the problem at the root.

First... continuing education does not equal classes. The terms are not considered synonyms. Secondly, I don't really think there's an Open Water Course solution for teaching everybody to a mastery level in a reasonable timeframe at a reasonable cost. This --we all admit-- requires experience diving and even Jim L would admit mastery can't be accomplished in one class.

Besides, if the initial training isn't good enough to produce a safe diver, what guarantees are there that further training will produce a safe diver? Is it not reasonable to [-]conclude[/-] assume that follow-on classes will be as insufficient as the initial one?

First off, when are you going to get a guarantee in life? But is it more likely they'll learn nothing in a class they're voluntarily taking? I don't think you really thought about this comment before you typed it.

Why would you assume the student is using the same instructor? Perhaps they took more classes because their initial instructor stunk, so they knew which questions to ask the 2nd time around? Perhaps they never take the same instructor twice to prevent against in-bred habits taught in 1970s YMCA programs?

As to the re-worded thread: unless I move to a locale where caves are a viable option, I think I'm done with classes.

Again, why do you equate classes to continuing education? Continuing education can be you reading these forums or Scuba Diving magazine. Are you done reading and participating in scuba, too? Are you so close minded that you cannot consider the possibility that you have something to learn from an instructor? Seems obtuse and I somewhat pity the point of view.

Last edited:
Dive, dive, dive! :)

Again, why do you equate classes to continuing education?

I don't.

I interpreted the topic of this thread as being specifically about formal education, and my response is in that vein.

While I can't quote the original first post, the first few responses indicate its content. Then, later posts by such as:

"What do you think is better for everyone in the diving community, another 500-1000.00 diving computer or another rescue diver out on the boats. My answer is another rescue diver." [take a class]

"No amount of study of i.e Scubaboard, The Deco Stop, The Cyber Diver or any other online forum can substitute for actual guided practice for scuba diving." [take a class]

I certainly may have misinterpreted Brendon's intent - it wouldn't be the first time.

Are you done reading

... obviously not, hence this discussion.

and participating in scuba, too?

Read the rest:
"... There are a ton of dives within my training and comfort range (above 200 feet [which is deeper than my formal training], less than 1 hr deco, no more than 2 bottles). There are a number of local dives rather deeper (250-350) that interest me greatly, but not enough to step up to the hypoxic plate, nor the CCR plate. I plan to dive as much as I can within my personal limits. Maybe forgo 10 tech charters and instead spend that money to dive somewhere different (belize? honduras?) and experience a new environment."

The bolded is my roundabout answer to the revised OP which asks 'what are you going to do this year to become a better diver?'

Are you so close minded that you cannot consider the possibility that you have something to learn from an instructor?

Of course not, nor do I consider taking a class as the only way to learn from an instructor. I've long been a proponent of mentor-type relationships in diving. Some of those I'd consider my mentors were at one time my formal instructors.

Divee in as many different places with as many different folk as time/work/weather allow. Never failed to learn something on every dive trip/course I've ever been on. Trainees will always keep you on your toes, but always something I can learn too.
Today we've been diving a local site at Dunnet Head, most northerly point of the UK mainland - and yet again the Pentland Firth tides didn't quite do what they were supposed to do. Very leisurely excercise doing a 30m assisted ascent - even got chance to look around at the scenery on the way up - Didn't know there were jewel anenomes there either till today when we were slightly deeper than usual - millions and millions of them - fantastic dive - and almost within sight of home

Like every other walk of life, continuing education is a blend of formal classwork, consistent mentorship (maybe not constant, but consistent - make an effort to dive with a mentor 3-4 times a year), keep up with the industry by reading (journals and papers), gain new experience every so often (1-2 times a year?) and through discussions (such as ScubaBoard).

Too much of any one of those elements creates a person with an inappropriately narrow point of view (IMO).

One thing I have learned is to avoid those experienced people that believe 'their' way is the only way. Not that one cannot learn something from that person, but one must recognize the skew.

My training in education has started already, I am going to spear my limit in fish everyday, It will put me in the water up to 5 times a day, Of about 4 to 7 hours under the surface. Hopefully I can learn from all my mistakes.

My surface Intervals will consist on cleaning and smoking fish, While filling tanks and prepping for next dive. Many people go to the gym or the fat farm, I spearfish and eat fish, In a month or so I should weigh 74# and have fins, a gill, and a tail.

Happy Spearfishing

Reactions: Jax

Back
Top Bottom