Cavern diver certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crush, have you taken Fundies? I haven't taken the classes you list, and I would honestly be extremely surprised if AOW and S&R, across the board, could be counted upon to leave a diver with the same skill level as a tech pass from Fundamentals represents.

I'll be taking Fundies in less than two months. I hope to report back with a favourable outcome, but I realize that the course is challenging and I may find myself weighed and found wanting.

I'll let you know what I find. Based upon my limited experience, I'd say the best course that I have ever taken (thus far) was Cavern (NACD).

I had such high hope for this thread, as I too am looking in to what I need to do and info on getting into cave diving, but unfortunately after post #8 with exception of one by Capt Jim Wyatt and one by Tracemalin this thread is completely useless.

The question I have is this: Do you have any suggestions of who to go with? What would be the best skills to truly hone before I attempt this course? Do you guys (and girls!! sorry!) have any suggestions for good agencies in North Florida or the Playa Del Carmen area to contact for the cert?

I realize that everyone has what they feel is the best agency, and I feel that its been well presented in the prior posts. Is there any chance that we can get the rest of the OPs questions answered? Or since the advice was "its not so much the agency but the Instructor" comment came up what questions should someone looking to get in to cavern / cave diving ask? as I dont know yet what I dont know. :idk: My understanding from reading here and on other threads / forums is cave skills are best taught in training but what OW skills should we have "mastered" prior to wasting any of the Cave Instructors or my time?

also I plan on doing my instruction back east some where but the OP had asked about any recommendations in the PDC area.

OW Skills to "master" and questions that I should be asking to know if the Instructor I'm interviewing isnt going to get me killed are the two areas I'm most interested in.

Hope I dont step on any toes as I know this is a small tight knit community and I hope to be joining your ranks one day

Unfortunately there is a lot of BS that gets thrown around once you start asking cave divers questions. This debate happens every time someone wants to know about cave diving and I think it always will. So here is my take on it without the BS.

Get your buoyancy and trim locked in. You want to be good enough that you don't have to think about your buoyancy because we are going to task load the hell out of you so if you have your buoyancy and trim in place then that will go a long way in making you more comfortable and able to deal with the other tasks being thrown at you.

Do an interview with any potential instructors. Take some time to get to know them. Talk to their former and current students and see if their personality matches yours. There are a lot of good instructors out there but the best instructor won't do you much good if you can't get along with them.

Unfortunately there is a lot of BS that gets thrown around once you start asking cave divers questions.
:rofl3:

Ain't THAT the truth!!

Welcome to the cave forum you need to understand a few things about commenting on things.
You will be called out from time to time and need to have a reasonable level self confidence.
Cave divers will protect and defend the right to dive US caves tooth and nail!
It is a very challenging thing to do these days with all the legal issues facing our caves.
Many times comments are made because posters are trying to make a point.
The difference between Rec diving forums and Tech forums are quite different.

A few flames can be seen here and there but the training level and risks involved are much greater as well.
Many posters know and understand the "BS" if that is what you call it.
I find that sometimes comments provoke others to comment using some not so friendly replies, this is cave diving everyone!
That is the way it is, sorry not everyone is as polite but if you seek training in this environment you need to be very clear that it takes a higher level of skills to perform safely.
The first time I was scolded by an instructor was on the steps at Ginnie Springs and I deserved it. I was told to pull my Head from my rear end!
I UNDERSTOOD WHAT HE MEANT!

I am not trying to make excuses for the abusive language but I am thanking him for caring enough to wake me up and get me on the right page!
I love what my first Tech instructor told us, " You are not in Kansas anymore!"!
This is advanced level of diving so ego, stricter training, militant attitudes, etc. go with the territory.
Scuba Board is a very polite place compared to other forums that exist!
No slam to any other forums if I say something and get flamed so be it!

Just a little distraction from the OP who just needs to get on with it and begin training!
Buoyancy, trim, gear considerations, and $$$$ are several obstacles that would be wise to consider.
The rest is finding the right instructor that has volumes written about.
TAKE YOUR TIME AND GET REFERENCES! It has always worked for me!

Good luck and this post was not meant to set anyone off but this is not a OW forum so take it for what it is.

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

I realize that everyone has what they feel is the best agency, and I feel that its been well presented in the prior posts. Is there any chance that we can get the rest of the OPs questions answered? Or since the advice was "its not so much the agency but the Instructor" comment came up what questions should someone looking to get in to cavern / cave diving ask? as I dont know yet what I dont know. :idk: My understanding from reading here and on other threads / forums is cave skills are best taught in training but what OW skills should we have "mastered" prior to wasting any of the Cave Instructors or my time?

Maintaining buoyancy and trim while task loaded. If you can do that, you'll do fine in cavern and cave training.

also I plan on doing my instruction back east some where but the OP had asked about any recommendations in the PDC area.

The OP asked about agency recommendations. Most agencies are world wide. The same agencies available in Florida are also available in the PDC area. There aren't any Mexico only agencies.

OW Skills to "master" and questions that I should be asking to know if the Instructor I'm interviewing isnt going to get me killed are the two areas I'm most interested in.

See above for OW skills. Just talk to potential instructors and get a feel for them. But don't even count on that. It's easy to fake an interview. The key thing is to get references from several students and talking to them. Especially useful would be to talk to students who have experienced more than one instructor so they can provide you with comparisons. Finally, ask what kind of diving the instructor is doing on his/her own time outside of training and how much of it. There are many instructors out there that only cave dive when they're training. You want an instructor that still enjoys cave diving and is doing it regularly. You also want a cave instructor that is doing more than following the main line in and out of the cave.

The OP asked about agency recommendations. Most agencies are world wide. The same agencies available in Florida are also available in the PDC area. There aren't any Mexico only agencies.

I guess I already have my mind wrapped around the its not the agency but the instructor thing as I thought they wanted instructor recommendations :cool2:

Thanks for the helpful responses

Looks Like we have a tie for today's most ignorant posts:

Yes, and definitely from passionate close minded ignoramuses

Yes, and definitely from passionate close minded ignoramuses

You shouldn't be so hard on yourself. I posted that your post was ignorant, not you. Cheer up, man.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom