Weight Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clay357

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I will be diving in the Caymans and Cozumel. I have done dives in a 7mil in fresh water and in a 3/2 in salt water. My question is what about diving in a dive skin? How do i figure the weight needed, or do I still need 10% of my body weight?

Just do a buoyancy check at the surface on your first dive.

It is the one thing you were taught in certification, whenever you change gear, exposure protection, carrying a camera, a light, etc any new situation requires a buoyancy check. after that your golden and wont need to do another one unless you change something.

yes start with 10% and adjust up or down.

good diving to you!

brian

When I dive Cayman with only a skin, I used 6 pounds to account for BCD buoyancy and change in tank buoyancy. I'd start there for your buoyancy check. 10% with a skin (no buoyancy) would be too much.

Only way to know for sure is to do a checkout dive when you arrive. Seriously -- gear and people vary so much, and while everyone can give you estimates, it boils down to this: you'll have to try it and find out.

10% with a skin (no buoyancy) would be too much.

10% will be waaaayyy too much. I'd do a weight check first, but start with about half of what you used with the 3/2 setup in saltwater.

You will have to do a buoyancy check but 10% is way too much, 2.5 to 3% is a lot closer. At 163 I use 4-5 lbs in salt water with a skin, no bouyancy in my BC and AL80 tanks, at 10% I would be diving 16-17 lbs.....and planted firmly on the bottom...

Your starting point should be your saltwater weighting with the 3/2.

The 3/2 has a few pounds of buoyancy. The skin has near zero. The difference is how much lead you can remove.

I'd simply start with 2 pounds down from your 3/2 saltwater weighting, and do a more precise weight check at the end of your dive. Or just drop a pound after each dive. It is much more of a problem to be underweighted than overweighted by a few pounds.

====================================

My real suggestion, though, is to just go ahead and wear the 3/2. I've never heard of a diver complaining about being too warm at the end of a dive.

My real suggestion, though, is to just go ahead and wear the 3/2. I've never heard of a diver complaining about being too warm at the end of a dive.

Very good suggestion. Even in warm water, when doing multiple days of long multiple dives, you'll feel it.

I agree with the others that 10% is way too much in a skin- I did some calculations on what my buddy and I used and it came to 7%- but I would also add a little- 2 pounds- because you can always compensate for that on your first dive and then remove the excess for the next dive.

Also, if you are having problems descending- add some right away at the back of the boat. Divemasters are used to this sort of thing and it is not a problem for them.

I wear 16lbs of weight in a 4/3, and then back it off to 12lbs if I'm wearing just board shorts or a spring suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom